Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warren Buffett calls for a minimum tax on the wealthy

Go down

Warren Buffett calls for a minimum tax on the wealthy Empty Warren Buffett calls for a minimum tax on the wealthy

Post by T Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Warren Buffett calls for a minimum tax on the wealthy

(Reuters) - Warren Buffett, the legendary investor who changed the debate about U.S. tax reform in 2011 with a call for the rich to pay more, is now calling for minimum tax rates for millionaires.

In a New York Times editorial printed on Monday, Buffett suggested Congress move immediately to implement minimum taxes of 30 percent on incomes of $1 million to $10 million and 35 percent above that.

"So let's forget about the rich and ultra rich going on strike and stuffing their ample funds under their mattresses if — gasp — capital gains rates and ordinary income rates are increased," he said. "The ultra rich, including me, will forever pursue investment opportunities."

"In the meantime, maybe you'll run into someone with a terrific investment idea, who won't go forward with it because of the tax he would owe when it succeeds," Buffett said. "Send him my way. Let me unburden him."

Reuters

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPPOSE that an investor you admire and trust comes to you with an investment idea. “This is a good one,” he says enthusiastically. “I’m in it, and I think you should be, too.”

Would your reply possibly be this? “Well, it all depends on what my tax rate will be on the gain you’re saying we’re going to make. If the taxes are too high, I would rather leave the money in my savings account, earning a quarter of 1 percent.” Only in Grover Norquist’s imagination does such a response exist. applause

Buffet Editorial - NY Times

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down