Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Actually, I loved this one just as much!

Go down

Actually, I loved this one just as much! Empty Actually, I loved this one just as much!

Post by T Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:32 pm

By Tony Morin, verified user — Fri, 01/18/2013 - 19:20

Republicans are suggesting that election scoring be changed to more closely resemble golf: those with the lowest scores win.

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Actually, I loved this one just as much! Empty Re: Actually, I loved this one just as much!

Post by T Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am

Some Republicans in four states with Republican legislatures want to change the winner-take-all electoral college system in their states.

Link

So, if the Republican party can't win by the rules set by our "founding fathers", they'll change the rules until they can? Low score wins?

T

Back to top Go down

Actually, I loved this one just as much! Empty Re: Actually, I loved this one just as much!

Post by T Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:08 am

Good information in Maine elections report

Every now and then, a commission report comes out that provides solid information and analysis, and helpful recommendations on what state government ought to do.

That’s the case with the Elections Commission appointed by former Secretary of State Charlie Summers last year amid various voting controversies, and received by his successor, Matt Dunlap.

The report is well worth reading, both for its conclusions and the fair-minded way it considers the evidence. If politicians take heed, it should help settle controversies over voter ID, election day registration, and absentee balloting well into the future.

The commission embraces what might seem to be a self-evident truth that, for some reason, isn’t evident to many Republicans: voting is an act of citizenship, citizens should be allowed ready access to voting, and no unnecessary barriers should stand in their way.

Americans vote in smaller numbers than citizens of almost any other major democracy. So it stands to reason that encouraging voters to participate makes more sense than forcing them to obtain photo IDs, register their cars or visit town halls well before the election if they haven’t already registered. All of these obstacles were advocated by Republican lawmakers two years ago, and several enacted into law.

In November 2011, 60 percent of Maine’s voters served notice that they disapproved of ending election day registration.

But not everyone gave up quietly. Before riding off into the sunset, former GOP Chairman Charlie Webster proclaimed …that “In some parts of rural Maine, there were dozens, dozens of black people who came in and voted on election day.”

The commission report gets us back on track. Since there are virtually no cases of voter fraud in Maine, IDs aren’t necessary. The commission also backs early voting – Maine only allows absentee ballots – for which a constitutional amendment would be needed; the Legislature will consider one.

His (Charlie Webster) spirit lives on elsewhere. Nationally, things have only gotten worse since President Obama was re-elected and, though Democrats won a majority of votes, House Republicans held their majority thanks to newly gerrymandered districts.

Virginia Senate leaders decided to take advantage of the one-day absence of a black senator attending the presidential inauguration to push through a redistricting plan that could have created six new Republican-leaning districts.

Another scheme involves attempts in Republican-controlled states to change the system to allocate Electoral College votes by congressional district, rather than the winner-take-all system used in 48 states.

Republicans advocating these changes make no pretense that it would better reflect the will of the people. They’re just trying to win elections without a popular majority.

There were vigorous efforts to suppress the black and Hispanic vote in Florida and Ohio, states that in 2000 and 2004 swung elections to George W. Bush.

That’s the ultimate answer to attempts to keep people from voting – it doesn’t work. No political party is going to succeed long-term if its goal isn’t to win a majority; that’s done by offering candidates, and ideas, that voters embrace.

SJ Link

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down