Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a Town Manager?

+7
Mainiac1
Phil Blampied
KevinNSaisi
xmashen
Vigs
marktripp
Timeout
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is a Town Manager? Empty What is a Town Manager?

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 pm

What are town manager expectations? What do we want from a town manager? Let's start writing down what we think a town manager should be responsible for:
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

What is a Town Manager? Empty Re: What is a Town Manager?

Post by marktripp Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 pm

HONEST!!
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Open eyes and see whats going on around him or her, act for the people not just a board of 5 or 6. Ask what the people want
Vigs
Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:45 pm

I always say dont bite off until you chew alittle
Vigs
Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

What is a Town Manager? Empty what is a town manager?

Post by xmashen Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:54 pm

never mind

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Vigs wrote:Open eyes and see whats going on around him or her, act for the people not just a board of 5 or 6. Ask what the people want

Vigs, are you saying that the town manager should ignore the selectmen? That is what I understand your comment to be saying. if he doesn't answer to the elected board, to whom does he answer? Please remember that a town manager is the agent of the board to tend to daily business that they cannot. In smaller towns they get by, but it can be questionable whether some other town official is making daily decisions. In some cases the "first selectman" has more power. Exactly where do you see the lines of authority in our town?
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:42 pm

Kevin, the thread is about what YOU think is a town manager...not what someone else thinks.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:49 pm

That's fine, I am challenging Vigs' statement that the town manager should ignore his supervisors and do what "the people" want. Surely, you didn't think people would make statements without being challenged, especially on this forum.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Kevin, get your own thread if you want to do that. I am asking what people look for in a town manager.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:54 pm

... and I am challenging ideas that conflict with the way our town was established. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. Rolling Eyes I never thought that challenging an idea would EVER be considered out of line on THIS forum.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:57 pm

This is the crap I get...

[No title]
From KevinNSaisi To Timeout, Today at 5:52 pm

Timeout,
As I was heading to work this morning I noticed that you have a red light in your window. I just thought you might want to consider the interpretation some may derive from such a sight. I am not implying anything, but some could.

Topic review
Timeout Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 pm

Kevin, I have Christmas lights in my window...what the hell is the matter with you. I am asking you to leave me alone now.
Timeout
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Blampied Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:02 pm

In the middle of all the sound and fury surrounding the Rumford town manager job, I think the essential responsibility of the town manager has been obscured. That is to insure the correct financial operation of the town, making sure money come in is adequate for the money that has to go out, and that it all is being accounted for correctly, and that planning for future income and outgo is in place. That's job one.

In Rumford, however, various constituents tend to demand that the town manager engage in endless babysitting and hand-holding. Give Len credit for excellent financial management, if nothing else, despite the distractions.

Phil Blampied

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Timeout,
It is a violation of decourum to take a personal conversation public without consent of the other party. I was trying to be funny, and you turned it into something negative. In the past I have been able to joke with you through PM without a problem. Rolling Eyes
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:12 pm

sorry to interrupt, but whatever happens , do NOT let JNS get anywhere NEAR becomeing town manager.

now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:21 pm

A town manager is one who manages the fiscal and administrative aspects of a town on a daily basis under the direction of the board of selectmen. That being said, a town manager has a responsibility to advise the board when they make decisions that may be detrimental to the town. However, if they persist in directing him/her to do things that are legally or ethically improper, a town manager has little recourse except to move on to another position, as any other action would constitute insubordination.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainiac1 Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:23 pm

Rumford has a descriptive job analysis for the town manager position believe it or not. Day to day overseeing of the municipal building goings on, acting as a go between for department heads and issues, economic development, marketing strategies, and also charter and ordinance requirements around meetings, and now acting as a secretary at the selectmen meetings. Ensuring auditing of department books at years end, preparing the budget in conjunction with the finance officer are some of the duties many town managers are active in on a daily basis. That has not been the case in our town over the last couple of years though.

Mainiac1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 pm

a town manager also has to have an interaction with the people and, especially in a town like rumford, be able to navigate the choppy waters of personalities. Kevin sees it simply being played by the rules, and in that, he is somewhat correct. But it also demands a sense of respect and fair play. JSN doesn't have that. A personal self-aggrandizing agenda isn't going to cut it.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:42 pm

xmashen wrote:a town manager also has to have an interaction with the people and, especially in a town like rumford, be able to navigate the choppy waters of personalities.

Agreed.
xmashen wrote:Kevin sees it simply being played by the rules, and in that, he is somewhat correct. But it also demands a sense of respect and fair play. JSN doesn't have that. A personal self-aggrandizing agenda isn't going to cut it.

I was speaking of WHAT a town manager is, not the characteristics that make a good town manager. If you look, that is the topic of the thread. There are many traits that make a good town manager including public interaction, honesty, managerial experience, being a referee, and peacemaking.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Actually it is mentioned in the intial post and shes asking for both Kevin. Another thing the nit picking is getting old. Sorry if being honest is a bad trait.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Well, xmashen was making reference to traits to which I didn't even refer. The initial post asks for expectations, "what we want from a town manager" (not IN a town manager), and responsibilities. To me, none of that asks for character traits, just duties, results and responsibilities.

As I said to Timeout; if you don't like my posts, don't read them.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Hmmmm so the same could be said for the post you thought I did was offensive too.....Right? Just don't read it.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:14 pm

True, but like you I have the choice as to whether or not I read your posts. If I read somsthing I don't like I will likely counter it with my opinion, not complain because you are stating your opinion.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm

So sending a PM complaining about it is ok as long as its not on the forum? Geez man do you come with a rule book on how we are suppose to converse with you. I feel I need one.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:34 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:So sending a PM complaining about it is ok as long as its not on the forum? Geez man do you come with a rule book on how we are suppose to converse with you. I feel I need one.

I don't see that you really want to converse with me. However, a private note (PM) is much better than a public flogging. I wouldn't expect many on this forum to understand how to converse politely. Most have taken their hatred for Jennifer and used it to turn this forum into a sea of negativity. I just laugh because everytime you express hatred for Jennifer, she wins. You are allowing your emotions to be controlled by what she posts on her web site. It is sad really, but rather amusing to watch.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks Kevin for allowing me to use your line (when you are trying to spin what you really meant)....

I was only joking!

I also love how people use politeness as a crutch for dishonesty. Lifes to short for head games and bull----!
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next