Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest?

+2
Vigs
dr
6 posters

Go down

The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? Empty The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest?

Post by dr Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:48 pm

From today's TRR:

State Closing Rumford District Court?

"Editor's Note: This article was updated to accurately reflect what the writer was trying to portray after being criticized for technicalities by the powers that be in Rumford."
Technicalities= misrepresentations? untruths? outright lies?
Criticized for technicalities....what, caught in yet another lie"?

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? Empty Re: The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest?

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:01 pm

I have the feeling the famous saying is going to come out "I TOLD YOU SO"

Closing this court would cause the snowball factor in which would cause melting for the town. Its just a matter of time watch and see and the saying i told you so will apply.
Vigs
Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? Empty Re: The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest?

Post by dr Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:13 pm

UPDATE:
"Editor's Note: This article was updated to accurately reflect what the writer was trying to portray after being criticized for technicalities by the powers that be in Rumford. Yes, Chief Carter whined to the Town Manager and one of the Board of Selectmen about my "misleading" and "untruthful" statements. The Town Manager thinks that it takes 45 minutes to get to South Paris. NOT!!! It takes 45 minutes to get to Lewiston/Auburn and even less if you are a cop who passes people who obey the speed limits. Can you believe these people?"

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

From TRR: "Editor's Note: This article was updated to accurately reflect what the writer was trying to portray after being criticized for technicalities by the powers that be in Rumford. Yes, Chief Carter whined to the Town Manager and one of the Board of Selectmen about my "misleading" and "untruthful" statements. The Town Manager thinks that it takes 45 minutes to get to South Paris. NOT!!! It takes 45 minutes to get to Lewiston/Auburn and even less if you are a cop who passes people who obey the speed limits. Can you believe these people?"

Okay, if she doesn't even know how long it takes to get to Oxford County Courthouse from RPD, what's the point of the rest of her argument?

Per yahoo maps:

34.76 miles from RPD to Main St. South Paris
A car traveling the distance would have to go 1.23 miles per minute (divide 34.76 by 20)
1.23 miles per minute is 73.80mph (multiply 1.23 x 60 mins.)

So, according to Ms. Norris, the RPD would and does travel at an average speed of 73.80 miles per hour to get to the courthouse.

Hmmm...I could picture that on some stretches of Rt. 2 and along certain portions of 26 (school buses notwithstanding). The travel in the town of Rumford before you hit McDonald's and once you get on 232 just won't allow that. So, let's recalculate, reducing the speed limit in those zones and adding the make-up time to the 73.80 mph.

Be right back with that calculation...

Last edited by Timeout on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Timeout good fact and figures well done
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:32 pm

It always seemed to take me forever to get to S. Paris, at least 40-45 minutes if not more. I usually go through the Green Woods or via Rt. 2. I always dread when I have to go over that way. If JSN is getting there in 20 minutes I hope she's at least wearing her seat belt and has no broken plate or tail lights...
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:37 pm

The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? Speeding_small The Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? SpeedingThe Importance of Being Technical, or is it Earnest? Speeding

Last edited by Vigs on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Phew! Okay, I come up with 12.56 miles at say, 30 mph. These miles are 2.89 from RPD to Royal Ave on Rt 2, and 9.67 miles from beginning to end of 232.

so, divide 12.56 miles by 30 and it comes out to .5 miles per minute, or 6 minutes and 48 seconds for this portion.

subtract 6 mins, 48 secs from 20 mins overall time...and that leaves you 13 mins. and 12 secs. to travel the remaining 22.2 miles.

now, okay, I'm getting lazy so let's round off. 13 mins to travel 22 miles...equals +/- 170 mph. Not likely!

Last edited by Timeout on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Driver's caution: do not try to do this yourself. Mathematical calculations do not allow for variances in individual driver acceleration or slow-down rates. Does not consider other traffic. Not intended as a recommendation to break speed limits.)
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Vigs! That picture is perfect!
Can you just see Brad sitting there with his calculator trying to figure this out?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:41 pm

I was close with my photo above 167
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Intuitively brilliant Vigs!
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:33 pm

It appears we have a finance committee member who either cannot add or consistently exaggerates figures (First Responder costs were whacked out too weren't they?) to the benefit of whatever chariot she happens to be riding. I'm sure that must be in the best interest of our town. Rolling Eyes I'm sure if someone took the time to analyze her other numerical "calculations" there would be discrepancies there as well.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Just remember one is aloud suggestion and opinions but facts are not always right but gives one a hint of what is right or wrong
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Yes, one is allowed suggestion and opinion...and facts do not always equal the best course of action...there is some little thing called common sense that figures in here...
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:02 pm

which one is book smart and one is street smart
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:06 pm

my guess would be that the dishonest one is street smart...
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:08 pm

One can be dishonest street or book,its by the beholder or ones eyes that see the truth
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I was just using the exaggerated figures vs. the mathematically calculated figures as a point of reference. Lol, maybe they both are wrong...
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:23 pm

one is right the other is wrong
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:28 pm

It's both...street smarts, intuition, common sense...backed up with facts = Vigs coming up with the random photo with the 167...and then mathematically verified. Why does that make me happy?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:12 pm

Because your right?
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:21 pm

And you were right...lol...wait, were you using a calculator?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:26 pm

toes count?
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by ValleyGirl Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:02 am

Timeout wrote:From TRR: "Editor's Note: This article was updated to accurately reflect what the writer was trying to portray after being criticized for technicalities by the powers that be in Rumford. Yes, Chief Carter whined to the Town Manager and one of the Board of Selectmen about my "misleading" and "untruthful" statements. The Town Manager thinks that it takes 45 minutes to get to South Paris. NOT!!! It takes 45 minutes to get to Lewiston/Auburn and even less if you are a cop who passes people who obey the speed limits. Can you believe these people?"

So, it takes 45 minutes to get to Lewiston/Auburn, therefore it should be less time to South Paris? South Paris is not between Rumford and Lewiston/Auburn. It's not just the town manager who thinks it takes 45 minutes--this is the collective experience of all who have driven there from Rumford. In addition, travel distance and time from Rumford District Court to South Paris District Court according to Mapquest is 33.53 miles/45 minutes, GoogleMaps is 33.5 miles/56 minutes, Yahoo!Maps is 33.34 miles/47 minutes. (This is the Route 2, 232, 26 way; the Route 108, Greenwoods Rd., Route 219, 26 way gives similar distances and times.)

Neither the originial article nor the edited version are factually correct. Since the distance between the two courts is a major point in the argument to retain the Rumford court, it is more than a mere technicality that the travel time was incorrectly reported.

Are there incidents of the RPD speeding in non-emergency situations? I've never read of any, and although I spend a lot of time on the road, I've never experienced this, either. It's no wonder Chief Carter "whined" about these (and the other) statements. The implication was that RPD common practice is to speed. This is not factual and was quite clearly intented to defame the reputation of the RPD, which means the statements could be considered libel.

TRR would not tolerate this behavior if directed toward it--why should others tolerate it when directed toward them?

ValleyGirl

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by T Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:12 am

ValleyGirl wrote:was quite clearly intented to defame the reputation of the RPD

Of course

Why is Frank DiConzo not outraged?

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum