Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford)

2 posters

Go down

LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford) Empty LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford)

Post by T Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 am

The following letter was published in the Sun Journal on 6-30-08 and again in The Rumford Reporter on 7-2-08:

LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN
(Stop harassing Rumford)

Submitted by TRR Staff at 7/02/2008 06:30:00 AM

The first rule of good journalism is to get your facts straight before you go to print. The Editorial Staff at the Sun Journal did not do that for their piece regarding Rumford's decision not to share John Madigan with Mexico as a town manager. They quoted everyone but John Madigan who said, "There's just not enough time; this has been my concern for a while. I told them that I can't give a whole Town Manager at half time."

What is bizarre about the Sun Journal not referencing the quote is that it appeared in an article written by Eileen Adams on October 25, 2005 after Dixfield Selectmen pulled the plug on the failed experiment between that town and the town of Mexico to share John Madigan as town manager.

The other notable inaccuracies were that the Editor did not quote the newest Selectman, Rob Cameron, as saying he did not support the measure. Nor did they quote former Selectman Jim Thibodeau who spoke against the measure. Instead the Editor continued the paper's assault against Selectmen Mark Belanger and Frank DiConzo. The Editor implied that something underhanded had been done regarding the issue being voted on: wrong again. The prior board voted on June 5th to hold a public hearing on June 19th. The hearing was held and there was no suupport for the measure.

I think that the Editorial Staff of the Sun Journal should spend more time bloviating about the frequent bank robberies, stabbings and shootings going on in their own backyard and stop harassing Rumford.

Ron Theriault
Rumford Citizen

The following comments were posted in the Sun Journal in response to the letter above:

Posted By:linda at June 30, 2008 7:07 AM (Suggest Removal)
Oh Ron, what rock did you jst crawl out from under?? Rumford makes the news all on it's own..dosen't matter if the paper, or the TV news, tells 'the whole story' or not...Rumford politics is a JOKE...live with it...or get out and vote!

| Add your comments

Posted By:gil at June 30, 2008 10:04 AM (Suggest Removal)
I would have to say that ....excuse me.....sorry about that. Big yawn, couldn't be helped. Now, what were we talking about?

| Add your comments

Posted By:T at June 30, 2008 10:08 AM (Suggest Removal)
*** From Merriam-Webster: Assault: a violent physical or verbal attack.*** When did the Sun Journal “assault” Mr. Belanger and/or Mr. DiConzo? Never. Mr. Theriault “bloviates”, to overuse an O’Reilly favorite, when anyone is critical of or is an obstacle to his mission, position or view. The citizens of Rumford are accustomed to it and most have learned to ignore. (Disclaimer: The previous statements are my opinions.)

| Add your comments

Posted By:Robert at June 30, 2008 12:53 PM (Suggest Removal)
I just read the newspaper. Hooray for you Ron. Don't let T,Linda and Gil discourage you from speaking the truth. Besides that I think the three just mentioned are the problem. They contribute to the 1/2 truths in your town.

| Add your comments

Posted By:anon at June 30, 2008 3:35 PM (Suggest Removal)
Again Mr. Theriault distorts facts. The editorial was calling for a vote. Isn't that what you and your cohorts are always touting? Citizen participation? The original editorial was calling for the selectman to put it to a citizen vote.

| Add your comments

Posted By:MaineGal at June 30, 2008 7:42 PM (Suggest Removal)
The Sun Journal can't be expected to quote verbatim every word said in every meeting (if they did, THAT would be "bloviating"). I wonder why this group of people feel everyone, including the media is out to get them???

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford) Empty Re: LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford)

Post by T Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Below is the SJ editorial that Mr. Theriault was referencing. You be the judge as to who got it wrong.

Selectmen should allow manager vote

Monday, June 23, 2008

Unity inside Rumford's town government about co-management with Mexico is crumbling, despite several strong statements of support from officials. The turnabout has come quickly.

For example, Frank DiConzo, the new board vice-chairman, who has extolled his long-term support for regional services, said in early May that co-management with Mexico puts "butterflies in his stomach."

Now, it seems those butterflies may have stemmed from apprehension, not excitement. During a meeting June 17, DiConzo said a special town meeting needed for co-management would be a "waste of time."

The same could describe the potential for Rumford's dealings with Mexico. Despite support, this co-management effort has suffered serious setbacks.

Separating a crucial charter change about co-management from Rumford's official town meeting warrant on June 10, to a meeting at an indeterminate time, was the first blow. This occurred weeks after the idea was introduced. Yet somehow, during all the talk of co-management, this critical detail was missed.

Now comes lukewarm responses from the board. DiConzo says the towns should conduct a feasibility study about co-management, as part of an investigation into merging both communities.

It would seem a one-year trial with Mexico would be as effective a feasibility study that could be done.

Four of five selectmen remained after elections on June 10, but from a political standpoint, one wouldn't know it. Arthur Boivin, the new chairman, says nothing was final with Mexico. DiConzo and Mark Belanger, another selectman, are shrinking from the plan. The mindset is rapidly changing.

Co-management with Mexico, however, remains a good idea. Voters have been promised their say about the idea, and deserve one. Even if selectman are wavering, they should let Rumford citizens consider the idea.

Merits of co-management outweigh its drawbacks. Given the town's discord, recruiting a new full-time manager could be difficult. And if successful, Rumford and Mexico could become a model of municipal collaboration for the rest of the state, if effective co-management develops.

But we don't need to say this.

SJ Link

T

Back to top Go down

LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford) Empty Re: LTE: SUN JOURNAL GETS IT WRONG AGAIN (Stop harassing Rumford)

Post by T Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 pm

It appears, upon closer examination, that Mr. Theriault edited his letter to the Sun Journal editor before he submitted it to The Rumford Reporter editor for publishing. Below is Mr. Theriault's original letter published in the Sun Journal.

Stop harassing Rumford

Monday, June 30, 2008

The first rule of good journalism is to get the facts straight before printing. The Sun Journal did not do that in the editorial June 23 regarding Rumford's decision not to share John Madigan with Mexico as a town manager. Others were quoted, but not Madigan, who said, "There's just not enough time. This has been my concern for a while. I told them I can't give a whole town manager at half-time."

What is bizarre about the editorial not referencing the quote is that it appeared in a Sun Journal article that appeared October 25 after Dixfield selectmen pulled the plug on the failed experiment between that town and Mexico to share Madigan as town manager.

The editorial also did not quote the newest selectman, Rob Cameron, who said he did not support the idea, or former selectman James Thibodeau, who also spoke against the measure. Instead, the editorial continued the assault against selectmen Mark Belanger and Frank DiConzo. Also, it was implied that something underhanded had been done regarding the issue being voted on. Wrong again. The prior board voted on June 5 to hold a public hearing on June 19. That hearing was held and there was no support for the measure.

I think the Sun Journal editorial staff should spend more time bloviating about the frequent bank robberies, stabbings and shootings going on in their own backyard, and stop harassing Rumford.

Ron Theriault
Rumford Citizen

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:35 pm

The first rule of good journalism is to get your facts straight before you go to print.

That's great advice Ron. Would you be willing to share it with your friends at the TRR? They get it wrong so much, this forum had to put up a separate folder just to correct the misinformation there.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 pm

Want to know why TRR is REALLY mad at the Sun Journal. It was because of this editorial which called them out on their behavior.

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/266097-3/OurView/A_place_where_social_capital_has_gone_bad/

I think this quote in particular ruffled their feathers.

Rumford's anti-social capital crusaders spew drivel on many Web sites, including sunjournal.com. Worst among them is the so-called "Rumford Reporter," which spends inordinate energy unleashing vitriolic personal attacks against anybody who disagrees with its anonymous editor's viewpoints.
I guess the truth really hurts.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down