Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Support Your Local Fire Department

4 posters

Go down

Support Your Local Fire Department Empty Support Your Local Fire Department

Post by Z Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:06 am

From the Sun Journal:

New Vineyard approves pay raise for firefighters
Ann Bryant
Staff Writer
NEW VINEYARD — Voters raised the pay for volunteer firefighters and elected a new selectman Saturday at the annual town meeting.

Fire Chief Doug Churchill asked voters to raise the pay for time spent fighting fires to $10 an hour from the current $6 rate. Of the 12 volunteer firefighters, only five live in New Vineyard; the others live in Farmington, he said.

When someone asked why a $4 hike and suggested it was a volunteer service, several residents quickly voiced support for the firefighters.

Some people appreciate their Fire Department.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Support Your Local Fire Department Empty Re: Support Your Local Fire Department

Post by gadget6412 Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:10 pm

When someone asked why a $4 hike and suggested it was a volunteer service, several residents quickly voiced support for the firefighters.

The question really comes around to when they have to perform a really dangerous part of the firefighting and they ask themselves if it is worth the risk at 6.00 per hour. .
gadget6412
gadget6412

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:54 pm

That's $6 per hour with no benefits too isn't it? What happens if they get hurt as a volunteer firefighter? Does the department have coverage for that?
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm

I do believe that as volunteers, they are not entitled to benefits and that the hourly rate is simply a gesture of appreciation from the town and fire department for the hours they serve. I would assume that if they are injured in the line of their volunteer efforts that the dept would cover that. I could be wrong. Also, it probably varies from town to town. Most people who are on a volunteer force do not rely upon it as a source of income.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down