Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you want this language in your neighborhood?

+4
KevinNSaisi
chef
C
Chuck
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Empty Do you want this language in your neighborhood?

Post by Chuck Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Aurthu12

Wondering who would be course enough to post a sign like this on their front lawn in their neighborhood. It’s none other than the esteemed Chairman of our Board of Selectmen, Arthur Boivin. Although we can all relate to some extent to the frustration Mr. Boivin may be feeling, it’s of poor taste to post a sign with language like this in a neighborhood full of kids, particularly if you are a town selectman.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Empty Re: Do you want this language in your neighborhood?

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:11 pm

There are plenty of other four letter words in the English vocabulary that would have made the same point. This is yet another demonstration of the judgement skills that represent our local government.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Empty Re: Do you want this language in your neighborhood?

Post by chef Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:00 pm

i don't blame him a darn bit.
people who let thier dogs do this and don't pick up after them should be fined heavely.
how would you like your kids or grandkids out playing in your yard,or thiers,come into the house covered with it?
way to go arthur!! keep up the good work

chef

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:29 pm

I agree that those who don't clean up after their dogs should be fined. But should young children in the neighborhood be subjected to the crap he's put on his own lawn?
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am

The First Amendment protects his right to post that sign. I don't agree with the wording, but he has a right.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:41 am

I think we are all aware that he has the right to post the sign. It's his judgement regarding use of language that's in question. If I were his neighbor I'd be cheering the next time a dog took a dump on his lawn simply because he's already done it himself with the offensive sign that children and non-pet owners alike are subjected to.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 am

Actually I don't think the First Amendment would be much help to Mr. Boivin. He is exhibiting obscene matter to minors which is a class C crime. Excretory function is considered obscene matter. While I'm sure he's pretty proud of his sign he might be wise to rephrase it.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine_Live Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Ok who is worse, the dog that left it on the lawn or the bozo that wrote it up and posted it? I am thinking that he ought to be smarter than the dog.

Maine_Live
Admin

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chef Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:44 pm

acctually it's the bozo who didn't clean up after his pet,the way people should!

chef

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:09 am

C wrote:Actually I don't think the First Amendment would be much help to Mr. Boivin. He is exhibiting obscene matter to minors which is a class C crime. Excretory function is considered obscene matter. While I'm sure he's pretty proud of his sign he might be wise to rephrase it.

I guess we had better not talk about sweating then. Laughing

But he would have been okay if he used the word "Crap"?? It means the same thing.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine_Live Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm

Point taken chef. They BOTH should be smarter than the dog.
There are more socially appropriate and less offensive ways to get the point across.

"Please clean up after your dog" might do the trick.

Last edited by Maine_Live on Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional information)

Maine_Live
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:21 pm

C wrote:Actually I don't think the First Amendment would be much help to Mr. Boivin. He is exhibiting obscene matter to minors which is a class C crime. Excretory function is considered obscene matter. While I'm sure he's pretty proud of his sign he might be wise to rephrase it.

Am I the only one who researches facts before I speak?? It can be argued that the word in question is so commonplace in conversation based upon our community, that it has lost any purient implication and is not patently offensive to the average individual. Oh, and by the way, posting a picture of the sign would have the same standing as having posted the sign since minors have access to this site.

Here is the law...

Title 17 §2911. Dissemination of obscene matter to minors
D. "Obscene matter" means matter which:
(1) To the average individual, applying contemporary community standards, with respect to what is suitable material for minors, considered as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest;

(2) Depicts or describes, in a patently offensive manner, ultimate sexual acts, excretory functions, masturbation or lewd exhibition of the genitals; and

(3) Considered as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value. [1977, c. 696, §168 (AMD); 1983, c. 300, §§ 2, 3 (AMD).]

_________________________________________________________________________________
And now the big word:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This pru·ri·ent Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Thinsp

//

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Speaker Audio Help /ˈprʊərDo you want this language in your neighborhood? ThinspiDo you want this language in your neighborhood? Thinspənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prooDo you want this language in your neighborhood? Thinspr-ee-uhDo you want this language in your neighborhood? Thinspnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1.having, inclined to have, or characterized by lascivious or lustful thoughts, desires, etc.
2.causing lasciviousness or lust.
3.having a restless desire or longing.

[Origin: 1630–40; < L prūrient- (s. of prūriéns), prp. of prūrīre to itchDo you want this language in your neighborhood? Thinsp]

—Related forms pru·ri·ence, pru·ri·en·cy, noun
pru·ri·ent·ly, adverb

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:07 pm

wrote:Am I the only one who researches facts before I speak??
No

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:28 pm

I suppose how each makes interpretations regarding the state laws will differ. Kevin, I'm so glad there are people like you standing up for the moral character of our community including the right to offend your neighbors and also the right to educate neighborhood children in socially acceptable language.

disseminate: To make (information) generally known: advertise, blaze2, blazon, broadcast, bruit, circulate, noise, promulgate, propagate, spread.

§2911. Dissemination of obscene matter to minors

B. "Exhibit" means to display for viewing by the public. [1977, c. 410, §2 (NEW).

C. "Matter" means any printed or written material, any picture, photograph, motion picture or other visual representation. [1983, c. 300, §2 (AMD).]

C-1. "Minor" means a person under 18 years of age. [1983, c. 300, §3 (NEW).]

D. "Obscene matter" means matter which:
(2) Depicts or describes, in a patently offensive manner, ultimate sexual acts, excretory functions, masturbation or lewd exhibition of the genitals; and
(3) Considered as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value. [1977, c. 696, §168 (AMD); 1983, c. 300, §§ 2, 3 (AMD).]
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:14 pm

C, what you have done is to take the parts that work to your advantgage out of context*. For example, section D includes the word "and", which means that all three criteria must be met for the violation to have ocurred. If the description of "Obscene matter" is not met, the remainder of the provisions are irrelevant. Although I do not like the word, and do not support Mr. Boivin's use of the word, it would appear that he is within his rights to post the signs as he has done.

*( I will not get into the comparison between this practice and a similar practice used in certain religions to ascert theirt brand of morality)
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by chef Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:18 pm

c, and the dogs don't offend the neighbors?
i'm sure art is haveing a problem with the cute puppies leaving thier calling card on his grass.

chef

Back to top Go down

Post by chef Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:19 pm

and one more thing,,,again, not the dogs fault but the owners

chef

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:38 pm

Bad taste, but it doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't one of the other Selectmen own the local nudie bar?

I guess morals don't matter.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:39 pm

chef wrote:c, and the dogs don't offend the neighbors?
i'm sure art is haveing a problem with the cute puppies leaving thier calling card on his grass.

Chef - I don't think the cute puppies can read the sign! Smile

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine_Live Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:38 pm

After all he DOES represent Rumford!

Maine_Live
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine_Live Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Hmmmm...the new Rumford bumper sticker?

"Welcome to Rumford, now take your S*&$ and go home."

Maine_Live
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Dave wrote:Bad taste, but it doesn't surprise me.

Doesn't one of the other Selectmen own the local nudie bar?

I guess morals don't matter.

Wrong DiConzo.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Thank you for the correction.

I see that it's for sale.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:07 am

I was away this weekend and tended to post off the cuff responses in the few minutes I had to post. Under the state law there was only an "and" between (2) and (3) so I didn't take it as being all inclusive. It was simply my interpretation, which of course doesn't make it so. You have a point about the bumper stickers- also mugs, hats etc. But you can't name your business "SH(crap)it for Sale" nor have a sign of that nature on any of the highways so it would make sense that you couldn't put one on your lawn. I wonder if a formal complaint was lodged and he refused to remove the sign if any of those laws would have some validity? Regardless of any legalities, it lacks taste and doesn't reflect the sort of decision making that many would want from someone making municipal decisions as an elected official. As a selectman why doesn't he try to get an ordinance made that would have dog owners fined for such behavior? I think that approach would have earned him more kudos than the rude sign.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Do you want this language in your neighborhood? Empty Ideas to deter dog poo

Post by C Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:24 pm

If the animal is unleashed, call animal control. If the animal is leashed and confronting the owner doesn't work, here are various ideas compiled from many websites, I can not attest to the effectiveness, safety or legality of any of these but they might be useful:

"Try gnat scat...it keeps mosquitoes away using lemon oil and garlic
oil. I just picked up dog crap off my lawn...so I sprinkled this on my
lawn. I am sure this will keep them off."

"I don't know that I'd really recommend this, but I know people who pick
up the poop and put it on the owner's doorstep. Leave a friendly/funny
notecard about how doggie is leaving gifts that aren't welcome."

"One way to keep dogs from pooping on your landscaping is to change what
is there to something that doesn't appeal to them. Maybe a hedge of
salvias along the curb, or replacing part of the lawn with thyme, which
has a very different paw-feel."

"You can spray generic Listerine on the lawn or vinegar."

"Sprinkle moth flakes or cayenne pepper in the oft visited areas."

"Plant citronella which deters animals and mosquitos."

Determine the times of day that the dog has a tendency to visit your yard. Plan to put the sprinkler on at those times to deter the dog. Most will want to avoid getting wet.

"Pour bacon grease on the "offerings" perhaps the dog will remove them
himself. Amuse yourself with images of sloppy puppy kisses being
received next door."

Dog-B-Gone Tonic
2 cloves garlic
2 small onions
1 jalapeno pepper
1 T. cayenne pepper
1 T. Tabasco sauce
1 T. chili powder
1 T. liquid dish soap
1 qt. warm water
Chop up the garlic and onions and combine all ingredients. Let it sit
for 24 hours, strain through cheesecloth, and then sprinkle on the
areas that you want dogs to keep away from.

"This solution works for a barking dog also.... invest in a quality
paintball gun. Then post a sign in your yard saying "Tresspassers will
be SHOT"... sit in your house with an open window and light up the dogs
rear end when he decides to pop a squat on your lawn."

"also, while a dog whistle is a tone that will attract a dog, there are
ultrasonic screamers that can be set to repell dogs with painful
ultrasonic loud noise ..."

"paper bag, their car, and a note "Your dog left this on my lawn, now I'm leaving it in your car"...
make sure it is a hot sunny day too."

"I just put peanut butter on the offending item and in the morning it is magically gone"

Security Camera
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next