Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-union manager

2 posters

Go down

Non-union manager Empty Non-union manager

Post by T Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:51 pm

"To move forward, we need a non-union manager in the fire department to work with myself and the firefighters' union," Greaney said.

Link to SJ article

I agree with Mr. Greaney's position. I was not aware that the previous chief was a member of the same union as the firefighters he leads. This would seem to me to be a conflict of interest.

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Non-union manager Empty Re: Non-union manager

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am

I believe Mr. Greaney was referring to the Interim Chief who some thought was the heir-apparent to the position. Of course, Mr. Wolfe probably came from a union background, having been in a city department in Hartford. But when he came to Rumford, he would be considered management (non-union). However, you can take the boy out of the city, but you cannot take the city out of the boy. It must have been difficult to be in the position to limit the union in a department where the union was so dominent and powerful. I believe that Gary (whom I believe has no firefighting union history) will be more effective in managing the department. There will probably be some grievences, but that is to be expected.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down