Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's next?

Go down

What's next? Empty What's next?

Post by T Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:01 am

What's next? Must one be a wealthy, white male over the age of 21 in order to vote? That would fit the Republican/Tea Party profile.

Doesn't pass straight-face test
By Thomas Shields
Jun 29, 2011 12:00 am
6 Comments

Even though there are 250 business days available yearly for voter registration, there are those who say the loss of registration on Election Day (one day) is a serious denial of the right to vote. That doesn’t pass the straight-face test.

Waiting until Election Day to register to vote is a practice favored by the Democrats. Hoorah for the Republicans who said “enough.”

Here are my observations from four campaigns as a representative from Auburn.

I watched the workers for my Democrat opponent bring freshly-registered people to the polling place minutes before the polls closed in the evening. Was there time for a thorough check on their proof of residency? Among them were transients who had no knowledge of the current issues or candidates. They just happened to have been found at that time and will eventually move on to another community.

Others were the young college students from away who registered saying that our community was their residence. They became swept away by partisan enthusiasm, perhaps duplicating their absentee vote in their hometowns. Many will not remain Maine citizens.

The advantages: Not allowing voter registration on Election Day gives the voter time to become informed on whom and for what they are voting. The election officials have more time to administer the election and registrations properly, checking any potential fraudulent documentation presented or other irregularities.

Maine does not deserve the unethical pressures of Chicago-machine style politics of the Democrats. Honestly elected legislators are what is needed.

Thomas F. Shields, Auburn

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum