Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who’s in charge of the RFD?

+2
k
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Who’s in charge of the RFD? Empty Who’s in charge of the RFD?

Post by Admin Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:43 pm

The RFP would like to commend Finance Committee member Ron Theriault for his honesty at the Finance meeting the other night although that’s about all we can commend him for. According to TRR, who has a close association with Mr. Theriault, part of the reason Mr. Theriault made a motion to cut the Fire Department’s budget was to send a message. Based on his comments at the Finance meeting, that message appears to be that the RFD better run the way Mr. Theriault wants it to or he will use his power to suggest indiscriminate cuts to their budget.

I remember Mr. Theriault bloviating long and hard because the Fire Department was acting as first responders to medical calls for our citizens. In the TRR article, Mr. Theriault’s comments when answering why he suggested the cuts can only be construed as being due to his frustration that the RFD continued to respond to medical calls. This raises a couple of concerns.

First, Mr. Theriault sent a clear message to our newly appointed Fire Chief. That message is “I’m in charge of the RFD and will make the department pay if you don’t run it the way I say.” Any guesses from anyone on how Chief Wentzell felt about that comment? I’m sure it wasn’t warm and fuzzy. He cut the legs right out from under Chief Wentzell before he even had a chance to settle in to his new job. Is Chief Wentzell in charge of the Fire Department or is Ron Theriault? Any guess on how long Chief Wentzell will stick around when faced with that kind of work environment?

Second, I don’t believe Mr. Theriault was appointed to the Finance committee to exact his revenge and control over the Fire Department or any other Department in this town. Our community voted based on the recommendation made by the finance committee and now the RFD budget is a mess.

The citizens of our community look to the Selectmen and Finance Committee to provide guidance and make recommendations based on what is in the best interest of all of us in this town. The power that is given to members of our Finance Committee should never be used to “send a message” and play games with the safety of our citizens or town employees. Mr. Theriault’s method of sending a message to the RFD was irresponsible at best.

Click here for a break down of what it actually cost for the RFD to provide First Responder service
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Who’s in charge of the RFD? Empty Re: Who’s in charge of the RFD?

Post by k Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Aren't you amazed that this comment has not raised holy hell with the citizenry? What is it going to take?

k

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by k Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:55 pm

sorry, 'this comment' being Mr. T's answer to Chief Wentzell's question.

k

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:43 pm

k wrote:Aren't you amazed that this comment has not raised holy hell with the citizenry? What is it going to take?
Why would it, the comment hasn't been published by any reputable media outlet, and I haven't seen it on TV. As far as I can tell, it is just rumor.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:48 pm

The Finance board consists of nine people. Let's look at the other seven and see if we can take away the power of the tyrannical twosome. Whatever we do, we should not repsond to their comments. If they perceive they are yelling into a wind tunnel, they may stop.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:54 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:
k wrote:Aren't you amazed that this comment has not raised holy hell with the citizenry? What is it going to take?
Why would it, the comment hasn't been published by any reputable media outlet, and I haven't seen it on TV. As far as I can tell, it is just rumor.

One thing seems quite sure. Chief Wentzell heard it as well as others on the finance board.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:57 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:The Finance board consists of nine people. Let's look at the other seven and see if we can take away the power of the tyrannical twosome. Whatever we do, we should not repsond to their comments. If they perceive they are yelling into a wind tunnel, they may stop.

Two great ideas Kevin. Tough to do though when someone is beating our community.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Kevin, I agree with your thoughts. I believe we are dealing with the dynamics of a clique - a group that has formed alliances, not so much based on friendship and points of agreement, but rather based on resentments, power and revenge. Groups like this are powerful but have an inherent achille's heel: they don't trust anyone, not even each other. This makes them vulnerable to breakdown. At the same time, I don't believe Jennifer is driving the bus...obviously she has a license to drive, but the group has it's own destructive energy which is even larger than the individuals. One thing about the clique is that they feel powerful because they operate together. Guess what? It works and it IS powerful. They have the right people in the right positions. I think we need some kind of intervention. Any thoughts anyone??

Last edited by Timeout on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:44 pm

I believe there is a very small core group (3-4 people). Many of those who have supported their efforts in the past have slowly distanced themselves. That is all we need to say about them..... now let's talk about improving our community.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:03 am

"That is all we need to say about them..... now let's talk about improving our community."[/quote from Kevin]

Is that all "we" need to say about them? Is apathy and complacency towards someone bent on vindictiveness and malevolence the right thing to do?

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:25 am

I think it's important to address the behavior.

Hopefully RVFP can continue to allow peers to stand up for each other and refute the accusations. The peer body, not one individual, has to say it won't allow the hurtful behavior.

By maintaining its anonimity, RVFP can operate on shared principals and not focus on personalities. It also empowers the voices of the bystanders. A great strategy - wish I'd thought of it...

Last edited by Timeout on Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by C Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 am

I predict when things come to light, this clique will soon segregate and their alliance will self-destruct. A few will find themselves outside their circle of "acceptance" and eventually realize they were the "sacrificial lambs" required to advance ambitions that didn't include them.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:13 am

Kevin, you can see by the number of hits under particular topics that people are (and probably always will be) more drawn to the scandalous. That is just plain human nature. We demand substance but secretly prefer gossip and drama. Oh well.

On the plus side (and I believe there is always a plus side to every situation) more local attention is being awakened to important issues. It remains to be seen whether this awakening is sustainable or transient.

I believe the discussions need to be had, regardless of whether they make people uncomfortable or not. People have a right to remain passive; they have the right not to participate in any way. People have the right to disagree as well.

Conflict is an uncomfortable yet vital aspect of any growth process; it allows for a larger voice to be heard. When voices are shut down, conflict is destructive. It can disconnect us from our own resources and therefore become unprofitable.

We have no right to shut down the voice of TRR; we do have a right not to be abused by that voice.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Timeout,
I wasn't saying that the issues shouldn't be discussed, I was saying that focusing on the antics of attention-seeking children only encourages them. I am all for open discussion on the finance committee and selectmen, but spreading the word and providing an audience to the showmen builds anti-social capital. It feeds the negativity in the community by fueling the ego of those who attempt to dominate, and it fans the fire of those who oppose them. Individual members of both groups can express whatever they want, it is up to the whole board to make a decision. I suggest that efforts are made to better educate the other members of the board. If votes are swayed away from the tantruming child, eventually it will get tired of screaming. When a monarch loses power, he becomes no better than the average person on the street, and that is the greatest punishment he can receive, because his ego has told him he is powerful and important, but reality has proved differently.
Kevin
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:38 pm

Timeout, I think you last post was thoughtful and thought-provoking. Thanks for all the good points.
Kevin, you,too, make some good points. However, your previous post suggests that the issue (JNS) has gone on long enough and we should all move on. I resent you trying to decide such a matter for me and for others. As far as I know, you are not our appointed leader.
I realize maybe you didn't mean it the way I read it, but that's how it came across to me. (If I'm way off base, I'm truly sorry.)

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 pm

I am entitled to my opinion.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:56 pm

Firefighters are public servants, they serve the public, not the other way around. If Rumford Firefighters don't like their jobs they should leave. They should apply down to Auburn.
I just laugh every time I read this . Thank you Ron Theriault for such a colorful quote. I guess RT is in charge at the FD.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down