Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WOW...what a synopsis!

Go down

WOW...what a synopsis! Empty WOW...what a synopsis!

Post by T Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:03 am

After seeing the results of the election, I'm not sure that the balance of power will shift very much in Washington in January. I don't think it will be possible for the Legislature to force the president into action on much of anything, and I don't think the president can further his agenda.

So, what has really changed?

Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell swap roles. Maybe the Senate starts sending bills to the White House every week (because we know the House of Representatives is on board) asking President Obama to overturn his signature piece of legislation, but that doesn't seem likely, does it?

I really think the only significant change coming is that congressional Democrats will, ironically, now be forced to become impediments to the legislative process.

Fortunately for them, Speaker John Boehner and Majority Leader McConnell have shown them how it's done.

I don't foresee President Obama suddenly becoming an effective leader, either. He has allowed his opposition to control the political conversation for almost six years now. I just don't see that changing.

A weak president and a dysfunctional Congress — some things never change.

Robert Scott, Leeds

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down