Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic

2 posters

Go down

Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic Empty Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic

Post by T Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:50 pm

The only way they can win an election is to "rig" it in their favor.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
Lewiston politicians circulate petition to move election to June

LEWISTON — Former mayoral candidate Luke Jensen and two other city politicians are passing petitions seeking to move Lewiston's voting date up from November to June.  Jensen said the change is a reaction to Bates College students' influence on city votes.

Bates College classes typically end late in May, with commencement at the end of the month. Students usually return and classes start again in August, too late to vote in a June election.

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic Empty Re: Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic

Post by Big Jim Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:09 pm

So you would be OK with a bunch of summer camp folks, winter ski folks, and "estate folks" voting in a massive wind farm in your town?

Big Jim

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-08-04

Back to top Go down

Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic Empty Re: Typical Tea Party/Republican tactic

Post by T Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 am

If they establish residency, I'd be ok with that, but they can't.  So, once again, your comments are irrelevant.

The students at Bates have established residency, and by law are allowed to vote...period.

So, you'd be OK with manipulating an election?  It wouldn't surprise me.

BTW...I love wind farms.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Jim Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:04 pm

All they need is an address to list as their residence.  They don't have to actually spend any time there.  They would give up the right to vote where they do actually spend their time but it may mean more to them to claim the home they got stuck with when the parents or grandparents who couldn't unload it died, or the ski condo that they mostly rent out by the week to vacationers, or the summer camp as their residence. They at least have asset ties to the community.  

Bates students have no ties to Lewiston, and probably none to Maine.  Their ties are to the community they grew up in and will probably return to after graduation if not for every vacation including summers already.  Living in a dorm room part-time or renting an apartment seasonally (school year) does not form ties to a community.

Most important of all, the estate owner, summer/ski property owner, those who spend winters in warmer climates, will be the ones to live with the decisions made at the polls. Bates students will be long gone before any consequences for their votes are even hinted at.

Big Jim

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:37 pm

You're a lot of work.  

Let me restate my point, and be a little more specific.  

Summer camp folks, winter ski folks, and "estate folks" can establish residency in only one state and one community (town/city).  If their legal residence is not Maine, they cannot vote in Maine.  If their legal residence is not my community, they cannot vote in my community. It's not my concern if they establish residency in Maine and in my community, but spend a significant amount of their time elsewhere.  Therefore, I stand by "If they establish residency, I'd be ok with that".

Like it or not, believe it or not, every Bates student who voted in the last Lewiston mayoral election established residency, and by law, are allowed to vote...period.

You make a lot of assumptions when you claim "Bates students have no ties to Lewiston, and probably none to Maine".  

So, what litmus test must people pass in order to satisfy your "ties" requirement? Must they live in Maine six months? twelve months? two years? five years?  To me, this would be a very un-American idea.

You might be right about one thing. Some Bates students might be long gone before they can reap the benefits of their votes.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down