Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

+4
C
Timeout
T
KevinNSaisi
8 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department Empty Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:33 am

It is funny how TRR reported only part of the story. According to two people who were at the meeting, Mr. Boivin left the room to prove Ron Theriault was exaggerating his data on the issue. She also doesn't report that a number of people spoke against Mr. Theriault's presentation. What she presents as an agumentitive session was reportedly quite funny... but only because of Mr. Theriault's presentation being de-bunked which I am told elicited applause by some. Unfortunately, I am told it was not videotaped, so we won't be able to watch the meeting non TV.

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department Empty Re: Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:09 am

JSN has been Deployed I have been told.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department Empty Re: Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:29 am

Kevin,
It would be nice if there was a video tape so that we all could know what REALLY happened, not was is being relayed through hearsay.
And I saw a post this morning from you to Steve telling him his sarcasm wasn't appreciated. Now I see you couldn't resist throwing in a bit of your own....................

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:29 am

From The Rumford Reporter:

"Selectman Brad Adley made the comment that this was a waste of time and that the board should go with Chief Wentzell's recommendation. He added that he did not want Tom Carey spending a hundred hours on this nonsense."

Exactly...

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:36 am

This is not nonsense. Parking on a sidewalk is a traffic violation. In this case, I think it's also a safety and liability issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm

bug wrote:Kevin,
It would be nice if there was a video tape so that we all could know what REALLY happened, not was is being relayed through hearsay.
And I saw a post this morning from you to Steve telling him his sarcasm wasn't appreciated. Now I see you couldn't resist throwing in a bit of your own....................

When replying in a conversation to another's comments, sarcasm is counter-productive to effective dialog. My statement was not a part of an ongoing discussion and meant to be humorous. I guess I will just have to utilize alternate means of humor.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Spin, spin..............................

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:25 pm

There, now those who tear apart what is said to attempt to dioscredit someone with whom they disagree have no such comments about which to complain.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Yada

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Personally I prefer the term "ironic wit" over "sarcasm"...sounds classier and intelligent...lol
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:49 pm

Okay, I read the TRR article. Sounds like Ron wrote it since he quotes himself so extensively...I agree with Brad (despite Cameron's opinion)...let's not pay the town attorney for an opinion...work something out. Better yet, let Frank take the gavel (maybe a whistle would be better?) and work it out with the Fire Department, he has a proven track record for effectiveness in that area...maybe he could be the department's fire dog, oops, I mean watchdog. See, that's ironic wit, never would I intend sarcasm here...lol

Last edited by Timeout on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Also, I didn't take from TRR's article that Arthur left the room for any particular reason...I figured he just had to go potty. Wait, did I say let them work it out? What was I thinking? Yeah, we'd better be prepared for a few lawsuits on this one. (more ironic wit).
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:59 pm

bug wrote:This is not nonsense. Parking on a sidewalk is a traffic violation. In this case, I think it's also a safety and liability issue.

It's nonsense to pay an attorney to research this issue.

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Are they really on the sidewalk or in the road obstructing vehicle traffic? This just seems like more nit-picking to harass the FD. Therriault loves to threaten with lawyers and legal action, this time it will be at the taxpayers expense. And what does this have to do with the Life Safety code?
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:12 pm

I love the use of Frank's personal example of almost hitting someone with his car...maybe we should post a photo of his vehicle as a warning or maybe just send him to a defensive driving course...Main
St. of town, busy place, pedestrians and congested vehicular traffic, people pulling in and out of places....hmmmm...good thing it isn't Boston, he would have already lost his license because I don't think the judge would have told him it's not his fault. (Now that is sarcasm.)
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:44 pm

On any given day, especially in the winter, you can see homes with cars parked in their driveways right out to the edge of the road. Are they getting tickets? I would imagine with both firetrucks parked inside their bays that space is limited. I don't see the trucks parked outside 24/7. Isn't it easier to work in or clean your own garage without the vehicles parked inside? It's just another demonstration of the fact that they probably could use a bigger station. Fire trucks seem much larger now than they did years back when this station was designed. Perhaps it would for now just be more cost effective to clearly re-direct foot traffic. You certainly wouldn't want a poor disabled person stuck in the (limited visibility) path of any fire trucks leaving the station anyway.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:18 pm

As any regular reader of this forum knows, I am not a proponent of TRR. In the case of fire trucks parking on a designated sidewalk, I am in agreement with Ron Theriault. It is a traffic violation. The town bylaws state that it is illegal to park a vehicle on the sidewalk. If only one person with a disability is inconvenienced by this, it is still wrong.
If this one law is not enforced in this one instance, what can of worms will this open?

Who suggested having a lawyer look into it? All it takes is a quick look at the town bylaws and a Google search of the ADA. This is NOT "making a big stink about nothing." This is a serious issue in which the town would be held liable if a pedestrian were hurt or if it were challenged in any court.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:21 pm

With respect, I realize the fire department is limited and in need of more space. In the meantime, it was stated that they could do the equipment checks in the back parking lot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:44 pm

I can't let this go.................I'm stunned that so many think that this is a "nit-picking" issue, and I'm stunned at the apparent insensitivity to the challenges facing those with disabilities.
Like it or not, it IS a traffic violation. And beyond that, it is a moral issue, one that involves compassion, sensitivity and respect for our fellow citizens. I don't think it's okay to "inconvenience" others by unnecessarily blocking a public way. Someone in a wheel chair cannot simply hop off the curbing to avoid an obstacle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Bug - I hope I haven't offended you. I don't think I'm insensitive to persons with disability issues at all. I simply don't think the town attorney needs to be consulted...at the same time he probably does because there is an underlying conflict issue that has never been resolved that has nothing to do with the "facts" of the matter, so it will probably become ugly (if it hasn't already) and need an expert opinion. There is so much mistrust (despite the peace Kevin claims we have) that we probably couldn't settle on which expert to pick for the right answer. I can't help but be desensitized to it...every issue is a "ten" here, requiring legal input. Please excuse my cynicism on a topic that obviously is important to you.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:59 pm

I don't think the town attorney needs to be consulted either. But Ron Theriault is RIGHT: There is a violation of ADA happening. It can easily be remedied.....DON'T park on the sidewalk. It's a matter of consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:31 pm

C wrote:Are they really on the sidewalk or in the road obstructing vehicle traffic? This just seems like more nit-picking to harass the FD. Therriault loves to threaten with lawyers and legal action, this time it will be at the taxpayers expense. And what does this have to do with the Life Safety code?

There is two white lines and that's a cross walk, My son has gone to the fire station before for a tour with his school and I have seen the kids and teachers have to walk out in the street and go around them and that's NOT SAFE

JASON

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Another thing, I believe they put the Fire Truck out front as a big (edited) to the tax payers saying, YOU NEED US, SO there, well I'm all for a new Fire Station, If it is built like Oxfords and Med-Care is also housed in it. We all no JW bought that big Ladder truck knowing it wouldn't fit in the Fire Station to push a few years back that he and the FD wanted a new FS at whatever cost to the Tax payers.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I have been on congress street so many times where you could drive a herd of cows down the street and not have any impact on traffic. I don't see the big deal.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:18 pm

also, let's assume the child in the TRR picture is the son of the father walking several feet behind.... (also, note that not a single moving vehicle is visible )

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next