Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

They run into the fire

+6
Timeout
chef
Admin
C
T
Chris Brennick
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

They run into the fire Empty They run into the fire

Post by Chris Brennick Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 pm

If your a firefighter anywhere in the world your job in to run into buildings while everyone eles is running out...Think about that. These guys and girls who fight fire will never become, almost never become famous but still they willing to put their lives on the line for us!! For our saftey!! Think about how much that much take! Please show respect for thoes who run into danger so you aren't in danger!!!

Chris Brennick

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

They run into the fire Empty Re: They run into the fire

Post by T Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Rumford's archaic charter, enforced by Mr. Doar (as he should), has shone the RFD little respect. The citizens of Rumford can change that.

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by C Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:34 pm

Did they actually change much in the charter other than the archiac wording? We had a chance this election to make some changes and they were voted down. I can't imagine why some of the proposed changes didn't pass except that perhaps they weren't fully understood by the voters.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Chris, thanks for starting this thread supporting our firefighters. Our Firefighters have been getting a beating lately, even worse than our police Department did a few weeks back. They don't deserve it. Our firemen have worked hard to be a well trained, professional firefighting team with specialized skills and training in everything from rescuing victims in a burning building to managing situations with hazardous materials. We still have the mill with all their hazards to contend with along with the "normal" fire safety of our residents. If my life or my family's life was on the line, I would want these guys at my door.

If the majority of the town thinks we need to cut back on the fire department, that is us to them but do we have to beat our town employees in this way? We should be supporting them, not knocking them down constantly with ridiculous criticism. It's shameful and unnecessary.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Chris,

Your words here are particularly true now, after the recent events in Mexico. I want to publicly thank our Firemen from all the towns that work to keep us safe. You are true heroes of our community.

Our firefighters could use some support and encouragement during these troubling times. Let’s show them how much we appreciate them.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chef Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:04 pm

thank you fire dept

chef

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Yes, thankyou Rumford Fire Department...I am grateful that Med-care was able to revive our fireman en route to CMMC as well...we have first-rate services here. As for Mr. Belanger, well, it's probably best if I don't comment.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Brennick Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:26 pm

The events in Mexico are a wake up call!! These folks work hard and put themselves at risk for us. We must support them well and show them respect. Thank you to all thoes who run into to stop danger so we aren't in danger!!

Chris Brennick

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Brennick Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Also just wanted to add that my best wishes go out to Bill Johnston...hopefully a quick recovery is made.

Chris Brennick

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:47 pm

Every time our FD is called out this is the risk they are taking. I think it is unfair for anyone to try to devalue that. I was appalled when I watched the town meeting on channel 7 and saw how the moderater was speaking to those people who risk their lives for us. I still think Eugene Boivin overstepped his duty and owes the FD a public apology.
I wish Mr. Johnston a speedy recovery and urge others to stand in support of those people who are doing their best and often risking their life to protect our community.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:15 pm

I would just like to take a minute to thank all of you on here that have shown the support for Brother Johnston. He is out of the hospital and doing well. I will do my best to keep the concerned citizens informed about him and his recovery.(as much as he wants public) Thanks again for you’re concerns.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Thank you, Mark. Happy to know he is doing ok! My best wishes to him for very speedy recovery, and my hat off to another brave soul.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:18 pm

Mark,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Best wishes to all of you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:44 pm

There is a excellant story in the Boston Globe today about fire fighting. Here's an excerpt:

Playing with fire

Training under simulated conditions prepares recruits for real-life challenges
By John M. Guilfoil
Globe Correspondent, June 29, 2008

Tom Brophy loves everything about firefighting. From the time he was a kid, when his father, who just retired as acting fire chief in Salem, would drive him around the North Shore in the family station wagon watching other towns fight major fires, he knew he wanted to be just like his dad.

"I always looked up to the firefighters for being hard workers and just watching my dad go up in the ranks," said Brophy, 32. "I always wanted to do something like that."

You can read the whle article at http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/06/29/playing_with_fire/
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:28 am

T wrote:Rumford's archaic charter, enforced by Mr. Doar (as he should), has shone the RFD little respect. The citizens of Rumford can change that.
I believe that the firefighters showed little respect for our charter by violating it. I don't recall any efforts to change the rule. When you intentionally violate the charter, you might as well be spitting on the Constitution or urinating on the U.S. Flag. I take great offence to anyone doing so. I respect the fire department for the work they do, but I find much of their actions and antics to be offensive. Just my opinion.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:33 am

I have no respect for ANY document that restricts or eliminates one's First Amendment rights. Mr. Saisi, I’m surprised you do considering your great respect for the United States Constitution and the U.S. Flag.

Just my opinion.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:24 pm

A document can be changed if it is flawed. There are thousands of state and local laws that are in conflict with the Constitution. There are some instances where Constitutional rights are restricted for good reason. Perhaps the reason there is a restriction on union members is due to the fact that the selectmen negotiate a contract with the union. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to pick the people on the other side of the table?? I don't know why it is in there, but since it is a union issue, I have nothing to do with it. cheers
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm

I am aware and understand that there are local and state laws that conflict with the US Constitution. They exist until they are challenged and removed. In my opinion, this particular Rumford by-law also must be challenged.

It is possible this by-law exists due to the negotiations format used. I don’t know. I wasn’t around when this by-law was instituted and don’t know the intent of the language. Regardless, I am of the opinion that one should never forfeit rights guaranteed by the US Constitution.

“Picking the other people” is an implied Constitutional right. Why should one forfeit this right to fully engage in the process simply because one is a municipal employee.

Educators are allowed to engage in political action, “pick the other people” when they vote, and then negotiate contracts with them. I understand one might feel this provides educators with an unfair advantage. I would disagree. Citizens or groups with opposing views have the same right to fully engage in the process, compete for ideas, and influence elections. As with Mr. Tripp and his fellow firefighters, some are successful and some are not.

Why would anyone who truly believes in Democracy, the US Constitution, and the First Amendment be willing to deny anyone the ability to fully engage in the process?

I believe I know the answer, do you?

T

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:02 pm

If we look at the history of Unions in our country, we see that they were initially formed to protect the worker from corporate abuses. Over time, they gained power to the point that in many cases they actually run the company. Thousands of jobs have been lost due to companies either moving overseas or closing up due to their inability to compete in their industry due to union excesses. Because of this, there have been some rules developed that protect from union abuses. I believe that the inclusion of this rule in our town documents may have been a safeguard to prevent this from happening. I have limited legal training, and certainly cannot decide what is constitutional and what is not. I do know that despite the first ammendment, I cannot yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. The first ammendment does not provide carte-blanche rights without concern for situations. Case law over the years has proved this.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by T Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 pm

I certainly hope you are not equating what Mr. Tripp and his fellow firefighters did with yelling “fire” in a crowded movie theater. That would be extremely inappropriate for a firefighter to do! Shocked
I could go on and on about unions and their impact on society. I won’t as most discussions become emotional and end splitting along political party lines. Unless it is determined the Rumford by-law was violated because Mr. Tripp was acting as a union representative and not a private citizen, it would be off topic.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Personally, with all due respect, i wouldn't compare the Rumford charter to the Constitution, OR the U.S. flag. Get real. It's simply a set of rules to run a township, not the holy grail! And it's certainly flawed, but it's simply a document that can be changed and should be to avoid the kind of idiotic things that happen when good citizens simply try to excercise a right they should have (regardless of the charter). If everyone " followed the rules", Kevin, we'd still be part of the UK!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:03 pm

T wrote:I certainly hope you are not equating what Mr. Tripp and his fellow firefighters did with yelling “fire” in a crowded movie theater. That would be extremely inappropriate for a firefighter to do! Shocked
I could go on and on about unions and their impact on society. I won’t as most discussions become emotional and end splitting along political party lines. Unless it is determined the Rumford by-law was violated because Mr. Tripp was acting as a union representative and not a private citizen, it would be off topic.

Why must you twist things?? I was making an illustration on the limits of free speech, not equating the nature of the two scenarios. Please understand that I make every effort to say what I mean and mean what I say. Anything you read into my comments is merely your own fabrication.

I cannot imagine that there would be any question that the rule was violated. The question is whether or not the rule is valid and enforcable based upon the First Amendment. That is for the courts to figure out.

Kevin
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

xmashen wrote:Personally, with all due respect, i wouldn't compare the Rumford charter to the Constitution, OR the U.S. flag. Get real. It's simply a set of rules to run a township, not the holy grail! And it's certainly flawed, but it's simply a document that can be changed and should be to avoid the kind of idiotic things that happen when good citizens simply try to excercise a right they should have (regardless of the charter). If everyone " followed the rules", Kevin, we'd still be part of the UK!

Given your description, isn't the Constitution merely a set of rules to run our country? Can it not be flawed and changed as well? I believe your reference to our former status with the U.K. is not relevant. There is a difference between living within the laws our ancestors set, and that we have the power to change, and living under the rule of another country who denies us representation. If you feel as you state about our Charter, than how do you feel about our State Constitution? Is it just a piece of paper that means nothing? I respect your right to have a different opinion, but I must disagree with your stand on this issue.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm

The big question is- does the charter infringe on the personal rights of the fire fighters? When they "signed" their letter to the editor did they simply use their names? If so, I would think that would be a private citizen submitting it. If it was signed xxxx, chief of RFD and xxxx, RFD then it would have been a violation of the charter (however stupid and outdated).
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:36 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:Why must you twist things??
I was kidding. Can't you see the irony in a firefighter yelling "fire" in a crowded theater?

KevinNSaisi wrote:I cannot imagine that there would be any question that the rule was violated.
You are most likely correct. But such things are open to interpretation. The intent of the law is key. Does the intent apply here? How has this law been applied in the past?

KevinNSaisi wrote:The question is whether or not the rule is valid and enforcable based upon the First Amendment. That is for the courts to figure out.
I agree.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next