Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Rogue

3 posters

Go down

Going Rogue Empty Going Rogue

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:18 am

From Going Rogue (you can find this quote on page 413)

"To some media professionals whom I admire because you don't let anyone tell you to sit down and shut up, please keep making the idiots' heads spin. Thanks for not taking our Freedom of the Press for granted, you bold and patriotic, fair and balanced media folks. Keep calling it like you see it: Amanda, Andrew, Ann, Bill(s), Bob, Cal, Dennis, Dick, Eddie, Fred, Glenn, Greta, Hugh, Joey, John, Jonah, Larry, Laura, Lou, Mark, Mary, Michael, Michelle, R.A.M., Rich, Rush, S.E., Sean, Tammy, Walter ... and there are more. I join you in standing up for what is right. Remember that as your voice is heard and your spine is stiffened, the spines of others are stiffened, too."

Can you guess what cable network she is indebted to?

You must admit, she has a way with words. Going Rogue Icon_wink

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Going Rogue Empty Re: Going Rogue

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:22 am

In her memoir, Sarah Palin claims that she vetoed an "earmark for
energy conservation" Alaska could have received under the stimulus
package because "acceptance of the funds required the adoption and
enforcement of energy building codes." When Palin previously made a
similar claim, PolitiFact.com determined that she was "wrong" because
"municipalities are not forced to accept the specific standards and,
given that local governments set their own codes, the feds would be
satisfied if Alaska merely promoted such building codes [emphasis in original]."

Link

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:28 am

PALIN: I vetoed a bucket of the money, not a whole lot, we did accept education dollars and infrastructure dollars, but dollars that were tied to universal energy building codes for Alaska, kind of a one-size-fits-all building code that isn't going to
work up there in Alaska and really prohibits opportunity to build and to develop, and just wasn't going to work up there in Alaska, so I vetoed a bucket of that money.

Our lawmakers now are considering they override of the veto which is cool, that's checks and balances. You know they can explore that.

HANNITY:
You don't want them to, though?

PALIN: I don't think that it would be a healthy thing for our state to adopt because it would be a federal mandate, fixed, centralized government, telling Alaskan communities that have opted out of building codes for the most part.

Them telling us what's best for our businesses and residences, how to build them, and we're all for energy conservation. We have hundreds of millions of dollars, in fact, budgeted for programs there but we don't want those fat strings attached where centralized, big government is going to tell us what is best.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 am

Palin was specifically concerned with a provision in the stimulus (it is Section 410, as she will refer it later) that ties the energy efficiency money to assurances that the state or local governments "will implement" a "building energy code for residential buildings that meets or exceeds the most recently published International Energy Conservation Code, or achieves equivalent or greater energy savings" as well as
"a building energy code (or codes) for commercial buildings throughout the State that meets or exceeds the ANSI/ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1-2007, or achieves equivalent or greater energy savings." The provision also states that recipients of the federal money must implement a plan to achieve compliance with the building codes within eight years in at least 90 percent of new and renovated residential and commercial building space.

That language seems pretty rigid, but then along came Missouri, which applied for the money, but instead of agreeing to the specifics of the building code, committed merely to "working with communities to create model energy efficiency standards that, if local units of government choose to implement (our emphasis), should reduce energy costs
for Missourians." The Department of Energy approved the application.

So Palin's chief of staff wrote to the Department of Energy to get some clarification about what exactly Alaska would be committing itself to if it accepted the money.

In response, Steven G. Chalk of the DOE said the stimulus provision recognizes that not every state has statewide building codes, and that the governor does not have the authority to force local governments to implement building codes. In those cases, Chalk wrote, it's sufficient for the governor to simply "promote" the codes. It is enough, he wrote, for the state to work with local governments to create model energy efficiency standards, but no municipality would be forced to adopt any new codes.

As for Palin's claims of "one-size-fits-all" building codes, Chalk wrote that the provision "provides flexibility with regard to building codes" and "expressly includes standards other than those cited so long as the standards achieve equivalent energy savings."

So Palin is wrong. The municipalities are not forced to accept the specific standards and, given that local governments set their own codes, the feds would be satisfied if Alaska merely promoted such building codes.

Despite these assurances from the Department of Energy, Palin vetoed the money and insisted the provision amounted to "big brother" government involvement. The state legislature is now threatening to pursue a very rare veto override.

PolitiFact

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:40 am

PALIN: "Seniors and the disabled "will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care."

Liar, liar pants on fire!

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:42 am

PALIN: A provision in the health care reform bill for end-of-life counseling for seniors is not "entirely voluntary."

Your pants are getting hot!

Last edited by T on Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:45 am

PALIN: "If an Iranian woman shows too much hair in public, she risks being beaten or killed."

Not true

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:47 am

PALIN: "Through competition as governor, I got agreements to build a nearly $40-billion natural gas pipeline."

A lie

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:51 pm

Going Rogue: A list of falsehoods in Palin's memoir
[What has been documented so far]

1. Palin falsely suggests poor will be "hit hardest" by cap and trade
2. Palin still falsely claiming stimulus money for energy efficiency she vetoed required tougher building codes
3. Palin continues distortion of NY Times article to defend "palling around with terrorists" claim
4. Palin stands by falsehood that Obama opposed "protect[ing] babies born alive after botched abortions"
5. Palin falsely suggests she did not support aerial hunting
6. Palin falsely suggested media did not criticize Dems over fashion
7. Palin attacks "Democrat lawmaker" who's actually a Republican

Added today:

8. Palin absurdly claims McCain campaign "did not elaborate" on Obama's purported "relationship with ACORN"
9. Palin promotes discredited notion that gov't "force[d] financial institutions" into risky lending that "triggered" the "collapse of our financial markets"
10. Palin offers straw men to criticize Democratic proposals' effects on small businesses
11. Palin, without elaboration, calls Bridge to Nowhere a "lie"

Documentation

Last edited by T on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:22 pm

I don't like to hear people complain; I am always the first to say, "Buck up or stay in the truck."

In book full of complaints, Palin writes: "I don't like to hear people complain"

In her forthcoming memoir, Going Rogue: An American Life, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin writes, "I don't like to hear people complain," before stating one "complaint for the record" about the national media. However, Palin's professed distaste for "complaints" is undercut by the numerous complaints that fill the pages of Going Rogue -- complaints directed at specific media personalities, national and local media outlets, and the McCain campaign.

Complaints can be found throughout the book, particularly on the following pages:

Page 348: I don't like to hear people complain; I am always the first to say, "Buck up or stay in the truck."

Page 274:
Though Katie [Couric] edited out substantive answers, she dutifully kept in the moments where I wore my annoyance on my sleeve

Page 275: But Katie's [Couric] purpose -- shared by most media types -- seemed to be to frame a "gotcha" moment.

Page 277: I don't think she [Couric] really wanted to hear my answer because she interrupted me five times as I tried to give it. The badgering had begun. This is really annoying me, I thought.

Page 278: Afterward, a staffer noted that Katie had been much more forgiving during an interview with Joe Biden around the same time, not even asking a follow-up question when Biden let loose with a real clunker

Page 298: One or more McCain senior staffers would later anonymously tell reporters that I was "going rogue."

Page 307: I was prohibited from calling the other ticket out on more of its strange associations.

Page 317: But as the story grew legs, they didn't lift a finger to correct the record.

Page 319: But it is unheard of for campaign staffers to brazenly throw a candidate under the media bus with sleazy anonymous comments.

Page 345: For example, during a routine interview for a story about a Thanksgiving turkey pardoning, our old friends at KTUU set up an odd camera angle to capture turkeys being decapitated behind me as I stood there discussing Alaska's relatively strong financial standing during the current recession. The photographer couldn't post it to the Web fast enough. The video became an instant YouTube hit.

Page 346: Sharon read it and shook her head. She knew we'd been set up.

Page 353: The FOIAs [Freedom of Information Act requests] were fishing expeditions -- just attempts to see what could be seen, then pick it over to see if something, anything, might generate another story.

Page 355:
As per the conventional left-wing playbook, disgruntled political operatives twisted the ethics reform process that I had championed into a weapon to use against me. They were relentless -- and shameless.

Page 356: We never imagined our critics would be so unscrupulous as to make a mockery of a serious issue like the ethics act. What a bass-ackwards way of doing the people's business.

Putting the complaints in context

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:33 pm

Sarah Palin: "If you fact-check my book, then the terrorists have already won"

In a note she posted to her Facebook page today, Sarah Palin mocked the AP's use of 11 fact-checkers of her not-yet-released book, Going Rogue, writing: "We've heard 11 writers are engaged in this opposition research, er, "fact checking" research!" Hmm, do I hear echoes of Mark Steyn here? Palin -- who stated that she "dedicated" the book to "Patriots" who "love the U.S.A. as much as I do" -- continued:

"Imagine that -- 11 AP reporters dedicating time and resources to tearing up the book, instead of using the time and resources to "fact check" what's going on with Sheik Mohammed's trial, Pelosi's health care takeover costs, Hasan's associations, etc. Amazing."

Link

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 pm

PALIN: "That day in sunny Texas when the divorce rumors were rampant in the tabloids, I watched Todd, tanned and shirtless, take the baby from my arms and walk him back to the ranch house so Trig could nap while I made calls. Seeing Todd's blue eyes smiling, I chuckled. Dang, I thought. Divorce Todd? Have you seen Todd?" Going Rogue 23218 Going Rogue Lol

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:43 pm

McCain camp: Palin account 'all fiction'

Top aides to Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign hit back at Sarah Palin Friday and Saturday, calling the former vice presidential nominee’s soon-to-be-released book “revisionist and self serving” “fiction.”

POLITICO

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 pm

Contrary to media hype, Sarah Palin is very unpopular
November 19, 2009 12:21 pm ET

If you've turned on a television this week, opened a newspaper, or logged on to a computer, you're probably aware of the Most Important News Story Of The Year (MINSOTY): Sarah Palin, or someone in her employ, has written a book.

Given Palin's inability, during an interview with CBS' Katie Couric, to name a single newspaper she reads, the fact that she is now a published author does have a certain man-bites-dog quality to it, so you had to figure it would get some media attention. But the past week's media Palin-palooza has been more than a little over the top, even for a news corps that devotes wall-to-wall coverage to a helium balloon that isn't carrying a small child.

Newsweek put Palin on the cover (with a poorly considered photo). The Washington Post ran four articles (and two columns) about her in Tuesday's paper alone and dedicated nine -- nine! -- online Q&A sessions to her from Friday to Wednesday. The Post was so desperate to squeeze a fourth article into Tuesday's paper, it gave Ana Marie Cox only four hours to read the book and write and submit a review. And at times on Wednesday, MSNBC seemed to be running an all-day infomercial for Palin's book.

Wednesday's edition of MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell Reports -- broadcast on location from a bookstore in Michigan where Palin was scheduled to appear many hours later -- began with Mitchell breathlessly announcing that she and her crew had gotten to the mall at the crack of dawn:

Link to complete op/ed

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Going mum: GOP governors on Sarah Palin

"Yet, as was on display among the governors, consultants, lobbyists and
party officials in attendance at this conference at a resort outside of
Austin, Palin enjoys only tepid support if not outright skepticism
among the party establishment.
"

"Two new GOP governors had to confront the What To Do About Sarah question more directly, however.
Virginia Gov.-elect Bob McDonnell and New Jersey Gov.-elect Chris
Christie both declined to invite Palin to their states during campaigns
this year. Asked why they didn't want the former governor to stump for
them, the two went to lengths to avoid giving the obvious answer—that
she would turn off a portion of the electorate.

POLITICO

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:13 am

The Palin chronicles

From the moment Sarah Palin was airlifted out of the Alaska hinterlands by John McCain and plopped onto the national stage, she's been telling anyone who will listen how poorly she's been treated by the media, the Democrats, the blogosphere, etc. After she did her part in scuttling McCain's already foundering campaign, she added to her list of personal persecutors the same McCain staffers who made her a household name in the first place. The conservative media have cheered on her personal pity party every step of the way, adamantly refusing to acknowledge that Sarah Palin -- perfect Sarah Palin, conservatism's hockey-mom messiah -- has done anything wrong.

More here

T

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:46 pm

How do you think Alaskans feel, we were left for a book tour. Shannyn does the best job describing the Palin/Alaskan experience.

http://shannynmoore.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/letter-from-the-other-alaska/
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:49 pm

The new book, Game Change, characterizes Sarah Palin, not just as an idiot who believed Saddam Hussein was behind 9/11, but also as possibly unstable.

The book claims that the stress of jumping onto the national stage caused Palin to have wild mood swings.

"One minute, Palin would be her perky self; the next she would fall into a strange blue funk,"

The morning of the famous CBS interview with Katie Couric, Palin - "her eyes glassy and dead" - was unresponsive to attempts to prep her as she was being made up.

"As they were about to set off to meet Couric, Palin announced 'I hate this makeup' - smearing it off her face, messing up her hair, complaining she looked fat"

Palin went on to give answers to Couric that were so incoherent the interview permanently damaged her.

Palin went into a tailspin. She stopped eating or sleeping, and drank only a half a can of diet soda a day, recounts the book written by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

"When her aides tried to quiz her she would routinely shut down - chin on her chest, arms folded, eyes cast to the floor, speechless and motionless, lost in what those around her described as a kind of catatonic stupor"

"If I had known everything I know now, I would not have done this," the book quotes Palin as saying.

When the campaign took her to Arizona to prep for the veep debate, McCain's staff made sure a doctor friend was on hand "to observe her," Heilemann and Halperin claim.

Heilemann told Anderson Cooper on “60 Minutes” that McCain Campaign manager Steve Schmidt claimed, “She knew nothing.” She had to be taken through World War I, World War II, the Cold War, and Palin was not aware there was a difference between North and South Korea.

Palin continued to insist that Iraq was behind 9/11, and when her son was being sent off to Iraq, she couldn’t describe who we were fighting.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 pm

"Andrew, I watch you at these debates with no notes, no papers, and yet when asked questions, you spout off facts, figures, and policies, and I'm amazed. But then I look out into the audience and I ask myself, 'Does any of this really matter?' " Palin said.

This was said during her campaign for governor of Alaska and she was talking to her competition Andrew Halcro (R). When you don't rely on truth and facts what are you relying on?
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dr Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

"When you don't rely on truth and facts what are you relying on?"

Ummm....TRR?

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by T Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:24 pm

Just like her newspaper preference: Palin says her "favorite" founder is "all of them" before eventually citing Washington.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum