Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wind power

5 posters

Go down

Wind power Empty Wind power

Post by marktripp Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:06 pm

I unfortunately had the opportunity to watch a meeting on channel 7 today with the planning board in Roxbury with the company that wants the wind towers on the mountain tops their. I cannot believe how many people had so many negative things to say about it. I just don’t get it, but it did seem that most of the people complaining where non residents. Of course I don’t know a lot of residents but I picked out a few that where not residents that seemed to be making the most stink. I feel it is mostly about people not wanting others to make money, but maybe I see it as no problem because it is not in my backyard. Maybe if it where I would have a different outlook? Just figured I would start a little something on it.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Wind power Empty Re: Wind power

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:25 pm

I too have difficulty understanding the fuss. I understand the "problems" opponents have identified, but I don't believe them to be as drastic as they are portrayed. I need scientific proof that these towers produce the noise and harmonic disturbance that is indicated. I support clean energy efforts. There is just something about clean air that appeals to me. Smile
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:22 pm

A concern for me is that we will be putting these not so pretty wind turbines on our beautiful mountains to generate power that will be sold to other states. I think Maine generates enough electricity to supply itself. For an individual to erect a wind turbine to lessen their own dependence to CMP makes more sense to me but even then, I think solar panels actually harness more reliable energy.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Wind power Empty Wind coming to Rumford

Post by Mark_Henry Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 am

With all this coverage of the wind power proposal in Roxbury many people have missed the fact that UPC Wind is going to place somewhere around 16 towers in Rumford. They will extend from just south of South Twin mountain in Roxbury to Black Mountain. If you drive up Rt 17 towards Roxbury look left - you'll see the towers on the mountain range above Rt 120 all the way up to just below the Frye Bridge... Should the zoning change in Roxbury pass this line would be extended north by an additional 4-6 towers on North and South twin just south of the Roxbury Notch Rd.Mark

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:33 am

The proposed wind farm in Roxbury will not be the end-all to our energy woes. There are sound arguments on both sides of the issue. But I am bothered by the stand taken by many of the opponents that a wind farm will ruin the beauty of the area and create noise. I venture to guess that a majority of these opponents zip along the pond on their jet skiis or in their motorboats, ride through the woods on the many miles of cleared trails on their two-cycle (noisy and polluting) snowmobiles or on their muck-raking four-wheelers, stopping now and then to make calls on their cell phones (towers all over the place). Roxbury Pond has lost a great deal of the serenity it once had; it's become a mecca for four-wheelers and snow machines. Seems like it's OK to clear the land and disturb the beauty for recreational reasons but not for alternative and sustainable energies.
And for those who argue that the energy produced would be sold out of state, so what? We live in ONE world. Unfortunately, we are quickly destroying it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark_Henry Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm

C wrote:A concern for me is that we will be putting these not so pretty wind turbines on our beautiful mountains to generate power that will be sold to other states.

Perhaps we should regulate Maine businesses to ensure that they only sell their product to in-state users? I mean, I'm sure that we could find enough uses for all that paper New Page makes without exporting it, and I'd be happy to eat more lobster if only we would stop sending that all over the world as well ....

Sounds silly, no???

Mark H

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:26 pm

I say put the towers up. we can decorate them with the cahnge of seasons! Laughing It's not the end to our energy woes, but I'm sure every little bit helps. I have been throwing around the idea for my own home.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 pm

I think it's just a matter of time before we take advantage of clean, renewable energy, even if it means we have to live with some visual polution. It beats the polution from oil and nuclear power plants.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down