Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Coverage on Crime Report issue??

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No Coverage on Crime Report issue?? Empty No Coverage on Crime Report issue??

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm

Is it because nobody knows, or cares? I checked the SJ web site to see what happened at the selectman meeting last night. I then went to TRR to see if there was any word. Nobody thought it noteworthy to report that the selectmen unanimously ordered that the crime report be discontinued. I didn't attend, but that is what one of the selectmen told me.

They had raised the issue before, but this time they had pressure to do something. A local resident who has served our community well as a citizen and businessman was highlighted in the crime report for an incident that occurred 28 years ago. The report didn't indicate that the crime was so long ago. At the top of the report, it indicates that it covers "recent" activity. The businessman was very upset over the report and has consulted with a lawyer over it. Little is known if he will be taking further action against the town. It is reported that he has posted all of his land, which includes some recreation trails (ATV,Snowmobile). Reports indicate that he spoke with the leadership of the snowmobile club before doing so.

Aside from being a solid citizen in our community, the businessman has worked hard to develop the area around his business, and brought in two other businesses.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

No Coverage on Crime Report issue?? Empty Re: No Coverage on Crime Report issue??

Post by Guest Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:51 pm

I don't think the new method of crime reporting is the entire problem. What happened has to do with the sex offender registry policies. Each offender has to register periodically, and when they do, it is logged into the crime report. (Well, this is my understanding. Maybe I'm wrong...)

I think the entire sex offender registry needs to be overhauled. All sex crimes are treated equally, when we all know there are varied and mitigating circumstances. I think the way it is set up now is very unfair. I also don't think it should necessarily carry a life sentence. I think it's time some changes are made.

Back to top Go down

No Coverage on Crime Report issue?? Empty Re: No Coverage on Crime Report issue??

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:16 pm

I agree that the registry needs an overhaul.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:52 pm

I checked it and found out that no action has been taken, but every member agreed that action needed to be taken. I am sorry for relating mis-information.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks Kevin. I agree for different reasons about not posting the offender's list because of people who were killed as a result of their names being posted. That's an extremely tough one... At the same time, I sincerely hope they do not block the police report.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:34 am

This man's name being published in the Rumford Crime Report Bulletin has more to do with Maine's Sex Offender Registry laws/policies than it does with the Rumford Crime Report Bulletin. The Rumford Board of Selectman should contact the appropriate people at the state level and request that these laws/policies be reviewed and possibly changed.

I'm sure everyone knows that this information is public knowledge and is readily available on Maine's Sex Offender Registry website.

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 pm

No, his being on the registry is due to state laws. His inclusion on the crime report was a local decision. The officer who handles the crime report admitted that he didn't even know the details of the case. At issue here is not the fact that he is on the registry, but rather that the crime report that was published in the SJ didn't indicate that the conviction was over 28 years ago. It caused many to think that it occurred recently.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:44 pm

I completely agree with the sex offender laws needing to be changed in Maine. I do believe it is wrong that a 18 year old Senior pays the rest of his life for having a freshman girlfriend. However I also believe Maine seriously needs to look at its conviction and sentencing laws for sex crimes against children. Maine has some of the most lenient sentencing for molestation cases. Also not everyone has access to the internet and putting persons names in the paper is another resource parents can use. Some overhaul does need to happen but lets hope its somewhere in the middle and not a drastic one sided approach.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:52 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:No, his being on the registry is due to state laws. His inclusion on the crime report was a local decision. The officer who handles the crime report admitted that he didn't even know the details of the case. At issue here is not the fact that he is on the registry, but rather that the crime report that was published in the SJ didn't indicate that the conviction was over 28 years ago. It caused many to think that it occurred recently.

If it was a local decision to include the name, then the RPD made an error in judgement.

bug wrote:Each offender has to register periodically, and when they do, it is logged into the crime report.
Is this not true?

If true, might the RPD be accused of favoritism for not including the name?

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:06 pm

T, I'm not certain that what I wrote it correct. That's what I understood, but it may not be right. I worked for years at different newspapers, and the policies that I'm familiar with is that the crime reports were used as fillers. Often there was not room to include the full list of names supplied by the police. Sometimes the leftover names got included in the next published report, sometimes they were round-filed.

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Not sure how the RPD handles the bulletin but I know with other departments they are faxed a computer generated form for the days activities to include all calls criminal, civil, etc. and the newspaper decides from there what gets printed. Certain information is blacked out (i.e juveniles names) before the information is given to the newspaper. Also since the Freedom Act was created and to deal with the volume of requests for information many agencies, including state police, publish whats called press releases on their websites daily and many newspapers get their information from there.

Heres a sample link

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/Trooper%20Dispatches%20of%2010-18-2008.20081018.txt
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:Not sure how the RPD handles the bulletin but I know with other departments they are faxed a computer generated form for the days activities to include all calls criminal, civil, etc. and the newspaper decides from there what gets printed. Certain information is blacked out (i.e juveniles names) before the information is given to the newspaper. Also since the Freedom Act was created and to deal with the volume of requests for information many agencies, including state police, publish whats called press releases on their websites daily and many newspapers get their information from there.

Heres a sample link

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/

[url=http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/Trooper%20Dispatches%20of%2010-18-2008.20081018.txt
http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispatch/Trooper%20Dispatches%20of%2010-18-2008.20081018.txt[/quote[/url]]

I don't see color pictures with those press releases. Also, it doesn't appear that there is any 28 year old cases being mentioned.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:24 pm

911 - While I don't think you're saying it's okay, I'd like to be careful when talking about teens and sex. It's important not to speak in generalities about this. We do need to be aware that every situation is not just about Romeo and Juliet when it involves teens. I know for certain of at least three high school boys whose stated mission is to "...pop the cherry..." (their words, not mine) of every middle school girl they can. They are well on their way to achieving this goal and leaving some serious wreckage in their wake. Some people think it's just a teenage boy thing until it's a young girl you know...then it's absolutely devastating, especially when the intent is just to use someone's innocence like it's a point in a game and nothing more.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Kevin, Again this was an example of how another state handles crime bulletins/press releases. I was not saying the current way RPD or the SJ is handling it is correct. I was just giving and example of how a different agency had handled it and how it was working. Maybe if someone presented this information to the RFD, SJ, and selectman they could make a more informed decision on how to have a crime bulletin instead of just doing away with it all together. I do believe that these bulletins, when handled properly, can serve the community in a positive way.

Timeout, again I completely agree with you, I only gave the Senior/Freshman as an example. Some states say 16 and older is of legal consent however they also leave a stipulation that there can not be more than a 3 year age gap. Some states are very specific on SAM (sexual abuse of a Minor) cases. Anything under the age of 13 is considered a serious crime against a child. This goes back to revamping the Maine Sex Offender laws and taking a serious look at the problem. I find it very disgusting that sex offenders in Maine can get off with very little time served and that many cases never get tried because the DA does not think they are able to get a conviction because there is no hard evidence and is only a he said/she said case, especially with victims of molestation. I also think in cases of an adult in a role of supervision and guidance over a child (i.e. teacher, clergy, coach, etc) they should have harsher penalties. I have a very little sympathy when listening to the offender complain about being on the sex offender list for life (for serious crimes as I talked about). I guess I am a little biased though because I see more of these cases then the normal John Doe, and because I am also a victim.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:39 pm

911 - Thank you for your response... I appreciate it...some topics hit me harder than others.

I'm with you and have little sympathy for offenders who have to register for life. The hurt they've caused others lasts a lifetime as well.

The system doesn't work very well, especially for juvenile offenders. A juvenile has to be a repeat offender before they have to register...even when they admit guilt. If they truly have a problem (and you can't mandate counseling to determine), many people are hurt before the offender finally racks up enough court appearances to have to register.

It's ironic that much of the blame for all of the above gets laid on the shoulders of the PD in one way or another. In my experience our PD is always professional, compassionate and they quite frequently exceed my expectations.

I've read that some people think the level of crime is padded or made up...give me a break...some of the crimes here just cannot even be reported for various reasons. It surely doesn't mean they don't happen. Let's see, do I want to live in a community that claims to have no crime or do I want to live in one that's proactively dealing with crime...hmmm...seems like a no-brainer but then I prefer things to be up front and real.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:02 am

Timeout,
I believe that the amount of time ne has to register is based upon the crime, not the frequency of the crime. Also, not everyone who is convicted is actually guilty.

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:13 am

Hmmm...I don't know if you're right about the registering part when it comes to juvenile offenders, which is what I'm talking about.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:47 pm

Kevin,

Could you please explain your comment

"Also, not everyone who is convicted is actually guilty."

I'm confused and do not want to assume your meaning. Are you saying that even though a person is convicted, and all information is then public record, that they should not post the information in the off chance the courts/jury were wrong. Does this also mean we should just throw out the whole justice system and release everyone from jail? This is not sarcasm on my part I am just trying to understand your thought process on this topic because I find it interesting.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Because our legal system relies upon humans, who are imperfect, it too is imperfect. There are thousnads of people who are convicted based upon circumstantial or unreliable evidence. For many, the experience is traumatic enough to not want to fight the injustice further.

Don't preusme that a guilty verdict is correct.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:44 pm

I agree that the system is imperfect. What I'm asking is why are you making this statement in reference to the crime bulletin post? Are you using this as an example for getting rid of the bulletin all together? Are you saying because there can be errors that we should not even publish convictions or put people on a sex offender register? I was going even further by asking if you believe things like the offender list and making convictions public records was wrong because of possible errors how far were you willing to take the issue? Do you believe that we should no longer pursue criminal cases in court or charge someone because of the margin for error?
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 pm

Are you saying that we should put away every person who is accused without even having a trial? Of course not. Let's stop with the exagerated speculation. My comment had nothing to do with the legal system. My comment had to do with public perception. The way you tear apart what I say, I begin to think I am running for president.

As for the legal system, I believe that perdatory offenders are a risk to our neighborhoods. If a person is charged and found guilty of a crime, they should be punished. However, I don't agree with the current registry as it is. It includes too many people who are not a risk to society. Is a teenager who dates someone more than three years younger than himself a threat to society? The law says they can date and even be intimate as long as there is not more than three years between their birthdays. If there are three years and one day between their birthdays, does that make the older person a pervert? By law, yes. What's more, when the 17 year old becomes 18, the law changes for him/her as well. Where do we draw the line?

And what about the young person who pretends to be older, but turns out to be younger? Does his/her deception make their partner a pervert? It happens, and there are people out there who have had their lives ruined by it. Perhaps the solution is to have a review board. They could review cases every five years, and if a person has had no incidents, the board could decide whether or not to remove the person from the registry. If the person was required to undergo counseling, that could be entered into the record for evidence of diviant tendencies. There are so many solutions. Having an incident that occurred many years ago plastered in the press is just wrong. Especially with no subsequent incidents.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 pm

Kevin, in Maine it is illegal for ANYONE to have sex with ANYONE age 13 or younger. Period. Three year rule doesn't apply. Plus, how is it reasonable that a teen does not know how old their boy/girlfriend is? If they don't know, are they just having sex and really don't know much about each other? Unfortunately the latter option rules out the romantic teen love theory. I think you're thinking adult world and not kid world.

You say if the person was required to undergo counseling...what makes that happen? Because it doesn't. Like I said before, the juvenile offender gets to hurt a lot of people before they have to register. Had to respond because your information is incorrect.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Timeout,
I understand about those under 13. I wasn't referring to them. I was referring to the 17 year old who is in a relationship (for whatever reason) with a 13 year old who looks older. In what world are today's teenagers responsible or romantic?? They are just out for one thing, and it isn't playing board games with mom and dad. But we aren't really doing a study on teenage behavior. We are speaking of the consequenses of one particular scanario.

Counseling is a part of many sentances. It is my understanding that if it does not happen, the person is in probation violation and goes to jail. In the case of a incorrectly convicted person (the original topic), it would be in the person's best interest to utilize counseling. A person with an actual problem is going to have difficulty in hiding that from a skilled therapist.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:09 pm

However, I don't agree with the current registry as it is. It includes
too many people who are not a risk to society. Is a teenager who dates
someone more than three years younger than himself a threat to society?

Kevin- a juvenile isn't required to register as a sex offender unless he was convicted as an adult, boys know what is jailbait and what is not. So I would say yes, those offenders are a threat to society. This person is evidently a lifetime registrant....

The court shall determine at the time of sentencing if a defendant is a 10-year registrant or lifetime registrant.
http://janus.state.me.us/legis/statutes/34-A/title34-Asec11222.html
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:43 pm

KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next