Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can't make this stuff up

Go down

You can't make this stuff up Empty You can't make this stuff up

Post by T Wed May 17, 2017 5:13 am

Sen. Tom Saviello, R-Wilton would like to get a handle on "nips" for two reasons.

1) Litter
2) DUIs

Legislators, recognizing the political difficulty in any attempt to ban "nips" out-right, have proposed an extension of the state’s bottle deposit law to include “nips.”

LePig, who is a personal fan of "nips" [hiccup], gets all pi$$ed off and threatens to ban "nips" out-right. If the bill passes, LePig said he’ll both veto it and direct Maine liquor regulators to work with State Liquor and Lottery Commission to ban nips.

LePig: “If the Legislature is really concerned about litter, delisting nips will ensure that they are not sold in Maine, and fewer of them end up as litter.”

LePig called out Sen. Tom Saviello, R-Wilton, the co-chairman of the Legislature’s Environmental and Natural Resources Committee. LePig claims Sen. Tom Saviello "would call my bluff” and “should know better”.

The Environmental and Natural Resources Committee never really considered an out-right ban, but Saviello said he may have even voted for a bill that did, saying “I win both ways” no matter what LePig does.
lol!

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

You can't make this stuff up Empty Re: You can't make this stuff up

Post by T Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 am

Why no deposit on nips?

Lori Lyons  
Letters | Wednesday, May 24, 2017

I often walk in the town where I live and bring a bag with me to pick up discarded "nips." There are very few bottles on the side of the road that have a deposit.

I have thought for the past couple of years that there should be a deposit on "nips." It would eradicate the problem because if they are thrown to the side of the road, people would pick them up to cash them in.

On a recent evening, I picked up 12 of them while on a mile walk. I work in Lewiston-Auburn and also see them all over the roads there.

I am flabbergasted by the fact that Gov. LePig is vehemently opposed to a deposit on "nips," to the point of wanting to outlaw them in Maine if a deposit were to be pushed forward.

Why does everyone agree on a deposit except for him? I don't understand his reasoning.

Lori Lyons, Litchfield

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down