Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maine should be embarrassed...

4 posters

Go down

Maine should be embarrassed... Empty Maine should be embarrassed...

Post by T Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:16 pm

Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes

By JESSE WASHINGTON
AP National Writer

Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars. Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

-At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was written "Let's hope someone wins."

Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Maine should be embarrassed... Empty Re: Maine should be embarrassed...

Post by C Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:01 am

How awful. I can't believe how many stupid ignorant bigots there are.
What happened to these people while the rest of the country evolved? Some sort of stumped or retarded evolution? Do they not have a clue that racism isn't acceptable, funny or something to be proud of? It's scary to me because these are the type people who even today would think slavery was okay.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:49 pm

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

This provides a little insight:

At the Oak Hill General Store, owner Steve Collins called the crossroads a "ghost town" and said he is deeply troubled that his neighbors cannot do what they like with their property. To protest the situation, he recently printed up red shirts that feature a yellow hammer and sickle and the slogan "People's Republic of Standish, Maine." The shirts are selling well at $14.95, he said.

"It's un-American what they're doing to these people," Collins said. "It's just an old building -- it's not like George Washington died there."

T

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:07 pm

It's a sad thing, but historically true that humans, when they feel disenfranchised, will turn to attack anyone that they perceive as "different". It's the totem pole effect. I am not sure that the hammer and cycle and the "PROSM" slogan makes a lot of sense, but it's clear that they are frustrated.

On the other hand, sympathy aside, those persons posting the Osama Obama Shotgun Pool sign should probably be prosecuted, or at least taken out to the shed for a good talking to.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 pm

I wouldn't think a smart person would even be alluding to Presidential assassinations. They may have the secret service knocking on their doors thinking they are part of or promoting a conspiracy against our President elect.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:35 pm

For some reason, C, I think we need to sadly take " smart" out of the equation. I still feel sorry for them.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:49 pm

The Secret Service will be quite busy with more credible threats. With all of the "threats" we read of in the newspaper this morning, on top of those not reported, the Secret Service will have to prioritize their investigations based upon the comments made, and the liklihood that any of the parties involved would take action to make such an attempt. We have had similar comments made right on Congress Street that a local police officer referred to as "free speech". There are a number of racist people in the valley, and some are affiliated with the KKK. If the Secret Service were to investigate every such comment made they would have to assign at least one full time agent to this area.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 pm

but wait, kevin, don't you think they need to investigate TRR's "stalkers/cyberbullies" first? Let's think priorities here! Our country is at stake, after all!

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down