Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I Like About Living In The River Valley

+7
911Dispatcher
xmashen
Phil Blampied
ValleyGirl
Dave
C
KevinNSaisi
11 posters

Go down

What I Like About Living In The River Valley Empty What I Like About Living In The River Valley

Post by KevinNSaisi Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am

Here is a new game for us to play. We take turns posting one item at a time in response to what we like about living in the River Valley. We cannot repeat what somebody else has said, and our response must be applicable to the River Valley. All posts must be in the affirmative (The River Valley has) versus the negative (The River Valley doesn't have...).

Have Fun
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

What I Like About Living In The River Valley Empty Re: What I Like About Living In The River Valley

Post by C Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:25 pm

I love my house.... it would cost more than I could afford elsewhere...

home prices are reasonable.

Last edited by C on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

What I Like About Living In The River Valley Empty Re: What I Like About Living In The River Valley

Post by C Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:28 pm

I like that we have good schools.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:04 pm

We have great athletic programs for our children.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Kevin, I think this is a rather tough "assignment". I think a different approach such as the "100 ideas for improving our community" thread would work better. I for one don't "choose" to live here. Many people are here through circumstance. We need to find out what makes or would make people choose to be here.

Last edited by C on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added thread link)
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:05 pm

I don't live in the River Valley , but I love the bass fishing in Worthley Pond in Peru.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ValleyGirl Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:25 pm

The River Valley has POTENTIAL!

ValleyGirl

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Blampied Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:24 pm

The cost of living here is dramatically lower than even nearby communities. Our property taxes are minimal, rents are low, house prices are cheap. If you heat with wood you can have a minimal fuel bill as long as you want to put a little effort into it ... if you are a hunter or a gardener, you can reduce your grocery bills. The cost of living differential kicks in even comparing us to communities only a few miles away. It's an unusual situation. I hope it lasts.

Phil Blampied

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:47 pm

I like the fact that there are people like C, Admin, Timeout, Bug, Kevin, Steve, Dave, Phil, Jennifer, 911, etc etc. It disproves my old theory that the toxic chemicals from the mill turned everyone into ESPN (no offence, sports fans) zombies. Even the fact that there are two forums at odds with each other , i think is a GOOD thing (to an extent), simply for the fact that people still feel free to argue back and forth. I think what's clear is that everyone cares about the community in their own way. I don't think you would find that in the suburbs of LA, or Boston, or New York. (ok, maybe you would in Chicago!).

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:17 pm

I like the fact that on almost any given weekend there is a benefit dinner, dance, etc. for someone in need in the community. After living in different states this just does not happen as often in other areas.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Okay, my new thing I love about the community is the Santa Parade! Like I said in another thread, my kids bailed and I went alone. Since I'm a little old for my age, I made sure to stand near people with kids so no one would know I was a poser. Let me tell you, when Santa suddenly appeared on the roof with that very tall elf I was thrilled...so were the kids. They were all gasping and saying, "Santa! Look! It's Santa!" I couldn't help but start smiling and that smile never left my face all during the walk down to light the big tree and back. Good stuff! I called my youngest and told her ALL about it. Took plenty of pix with the cellphone so I can show them what they missed - haha! Thank you Rumford Fire Department and whoever else helped out.

Last edited by Timeout on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 pm

Even the fact that there are two forums

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum............... Very Happy

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Although I can't comment on what I like about living in the River Valley, I CAN describe things that I remember. The Christmas parade had Santa riding in an open-cab, 30's-era pumper. He tossed candy and trinkets to kids lining Congress Street down to what is now Veterans Park where he would light the town's Christmas tree. In the neighborhood where I grew up, the neighborhood parents put up a lighted Christmas tree at the intersection of Somerset Street and Tasker Avenue. On or about the 23rd, a group of neighbors would go from house to house singing carols. Then we all would assemble at the tree and sing until Santa arrived on a horse-drawn sleigh or carriage, depending upon the weather. He would hand out small gifts to all of the children before leaving to make other rounds. In addition to the school Christmas parties (not HOLIDAY parties, thank you very much), there was always a party at the Mechanics Institute as well as at various fraternal and service organizations. Speaking of the "Stute", I remember going there after school for various activities from woodworking to basketball to bowling, pool, ping-pong and so much more. We had incredible celebrations on July 4th with a great parade and events at Hosmer field culminating with the fireworks display that my father rarely witnessed because he had to take our dog for a drive up on the Isthmus road where the dog wouldn't be terrorized by the booming pyrotechnics. I remember the Rumford Oxies semi-pro baseball team with whom I was fortunate one year to be their batboy responsible for keeping their bats organized during the game and, most importantly, passing the hat during the seventh inning stretch at home games. I delivered the Rumford Falls Times on Thursdays and, later, the Lewiston Daily Sun Monday through Saturday and the Portland Press Herald on Sundays (I always dreaded the February edition of the Sun called the Annual Review. It was the size of the Sunday New York Times, and I had to load them on a toboggan to deliver them.) There was an Easter Egg hunt on Holy Saturday with clues being broadcast on WRUM AM790 by Ken Ellis or "Lobster" Shorey. The local merchants sponsored the eggs and provided wonderful gifts to the kids who found them. These are just a few of the things I liked about growing up in the River Valley. I could go on much longer, but I've reached the end of my day. Suffice to say that it was a good place to grow up and call "home"...which is why I continue to post here. Good night all.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Beautiful description - thank you Steve.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:53 pm

Wow, Steve, what a great post! you need to do more! (even IF you are a republican)

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:48 pm

I moved from the River Valley to enter the military where 33 years later I still am in. I have purchased property in Mexico and someday hope to move back to the River Valley. What I remember are the smells, sounds and opportunities. Being down here in a big city, I only get to experience these twice a year.

When we get into Maine, we usually stop at the visitors center. It is in the middle of pine trees and when the wind blows through the area, the smell of balsam in abounding, this reminds of the river valley area and home. The winter smell when you walk outside and you can smell that it is crisp and going to snow.

When you walk into the woods and there is no other sound other than your heartbeat, your breath and the breeze blowing through the trees causing them to creak as they sway. The sounds of snow when it is cold and it crushes beneath your feet as you walk.

The opportunity to walk along the beach at Roxbury in the summer and remember that this was and is excitement to children. The opportunity to see nature in the wild and not in the middle of the road.

What I like about the River Valley is the River Valley. I'm tired of the city.
gadget6412
gadget6412

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:44 am

Your description captures the smell, feel and sound of trees, snow and quiet. This is exactly what I love about Rumford Point in the winter. The wildlife I get to enjoy has usually been in the garbage, compost pile or busily procreating under the barn in annual preparation for an attack on the summer gardens.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down