Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regionalization - What's holding it up?

+9
Dave
Vigs
FireDawg314
911Dispatcher
xmashen
KevinNSaisi
public slave
Z
Timeout
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Regionalization - What's holding it up? - Page 5 Empty Re: Regionalization - What's holding it up?

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:54 pm

xmashen wrote:so, kevin, you AGREE that i am right? 7 is better?
How in the world did you come to that conclusion??? dunno
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Regionalization - What's holding it up? - Page 5 Empty Re: Regionalization - What's holding it up?

Post by xmashen Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm

just beCAUSE, now go to your room! and NO TV!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 pm

HA! The joke is on you because I am watching TV on my computer. You didn't say no computer.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:18 pm

ok, i am pulling the DSL/CABLE plug

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Mine or yours?? Smile
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by FireDawg314 Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:13 am

Since the topic of discussion went way off track in a hurry, and one of the reasons I am here was due to this discussion, I would like to entertain it a bit further.

As I stated, I have a considerable amount of research on the topic and I would like to know from others, What is your perception and opinion on the regionalization/consolidation of the area fire departments? What do you see as the benefits that would arise? What potential problems do you foresee? How should the new organization be set up and controlled? How should funding from the involved communities be determined,etc.
What I am basically looking to do is get some information from people who are not directly involved in the fire service.

Thanks
FireDawg314
FireDawg314

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:03 pm

I think combining these forces couldn't help but to build a better department overall. One community evidently can't afford to build a new station- I would think that Rumford and Mexico together could well afford it.

I think the big stumbling block is some of the taxpayers feel like they are going to pay for something they shouldn't have to. They are still looking at themselves as separate entities, instead of looking at the combined population of both towns sharing the responsibility of the area as a whole.

For example: if we were to combine public works- some residents of one town would feel the other town has more roads than than them and should have to pay less. Often, that type of thinking is "cutting off one's nose to spite their face", they don't even want to know if it will save them money in the long run. No matter if both towns save money it will be deemed unfair by some if it is a bigger savings to one community than it is to the other.

The longer I live here the more often I see that type of mindset. If they can't see it and understand it immediately- it's no good. With many, the benefits need to be reaped today, if it will save them money over extended years or show rewards in a few years it is no good to them, they don't care about the future and they will vote it down. It is a form of closed mindedness that if you have to show them, teach them, or explain it to them they either turn suspicious or cannot be bothered and will turn you down flat unless they are given no choice. Sadly, as long as a majority of the people are stuck in (or are content in) a rut that leaves the rest there as well.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:07 pm

"Two heads are better then one"
Vigs
Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainiac1 Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:18 pm

C can see into the future, nice post. Having had an opportunity to sit in on the talks between Rumford and Mexico in regards to combining services, I would go as far to say, that if certain players were not involved in the process, Mexico would be realizing the benefits right now, of being able to utilize Rumford's snow plowing and removal equipment. I'm sure some will debate that as usual, but I would bet on it. Also watch for Mexico and Dixfield combine certain services soon. The simple reason being is there are people involved who are able to reason.

Mainiac1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:46 pm

I hope that when we get an impartial, ethical selectboard again, they will be able to rebuild some of these bridges a few of our current board members are burning.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:11 pm

I sat last night and listened to one selectman go on at length in his selectmen's report, criticizing certain groups for engaging in "negative" talk about the town. Then he went on for quite a bit more, blaming both Mexico Board of Selectmen and Rumford's last town manager for Rumford not moving forward with regionalization. Let's see, how can I be positive about this? Hmmmm...hey, maybe no one in Mexico will watch Channel 7?

Last edited by Timeout on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Did he offer any solutions or just blame?
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:35 pm

sounds like blame
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:11 pm

Some feel it is everyone elses fault.

Last edited by marktripp on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change wording)
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by public slave Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:50 pm

For god sakes open your eyes Rumford Selectmen!! The other towns haven't dropped the ball; they have picked up their balls and run as fast and as far away from this town as they can!!! The actions and attitudes coming from the majority of the selectmen representing Rumford is where the entire failure of regionalization rests! They should take away your microphones and place small make-up mirrors in front of you so you can look into them each time there is a controversy and you will solve it the minute you see the person in the mirror looking back at you. Where are the good people of Rumford?? The town is being ruined by the unprofessional and inept supposed leaders. The local government is corrupt from the top down with a Town Manager that was hand picked with no credentials or background in municpal management, a majority of selectmen that are so hell bent on their personal agendas they have forgotten what they are doing and who they are supposed to represent, a town solicitor that was part of the corrupt system to begin with and the list goes on. The other towns clearly don't want regionalization with a town that has lost all credibility from the governing bodies and the common man from the surrounding communities. Once again the other towns will merge and work together as professionals which is what Rumford lacks and in the end as I have stated before these selectmen will be left alone on the island of misfits.

public slave

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Of course the selectmen in question don't want regionalization. They're good ole Rumford boys who are ruling their "roost". They don't want anyone outvoting, questioning or overruling their decisions. They may also want to keep the option of moving to Mexico available if they get booted out of Rumford.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:38 pm

"here on the island of misfit boys
here we just wanna stay
we wanna travel with JNS
in her magic sleigh (or in this case " slay")

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:45 am

Definition of blame (noun)
form plural: blames
guilt; responsibility; liability
Vigs
Vigs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5