Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford

4 posters

Go down

Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford Empty Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford

Post by T Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:27 pm

From the Lewiston SunJournal:

• Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford.

Anonymous Internet chatter about town business (including on sunjournal.com) has been savage, prompting Selectman Frank DiConzo and Town Manager Len Greaney to urge posters to be more factual and fair. It's been a long-term problem.

We're not hopeful about the prospect for change, though. Engaging the online masses only seems to make them bare their fangs. Not only do they have anonymity on their side, but also the powerful platform of easily accessible, unfettered and unmoderated forums.

Oh, and the right to free speech.

But Greaney, DiConzo and anyone else concerned about these conversations do have some power. They might not silence or sway the discussions, but they can control their influence by not doing one simple thing - reading them.

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford Empty Re: Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford

Post by T Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:52 pm

FYI

The SunJournal "discussion" thread shows: "CLICK HERE To Show/Hide Discussion Thread - (0 Comment)" when in fact comments have been posted.

T

Back to top Go down

Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford Empty Re: Finally, jeers to digital discourse in Rumford

Post by Timeout Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:44 pm

From the Lewiston SunJournal:

We're not hopeful about the prospect for change, though. Engaging the online masses only seems to make them bare their fangs. Not only do they have anonymity on their side, but also the powerful platform of easily accessible, unfettered and unmoderated forums.

Oh, and the right to free speech.

I take this completely as tongue in cheek from SJ. I guess it's in your interpretation but I think someone told me that they were part of Gannet who has a pretty open-handed policy regarding public discussion, etc. Anyone want to help me with this?
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:19 pm

I can only HOPE it was tongue in cheek. Anyone with any sense who has visited both sites could tell the difference. One is run by a NAZI , the other is run by thoughtful and open people with a sense of inclusiveness.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:29 pm

See - inclusiveness is what I like here. I hate not getting invited to the party, even if I choose not to go! Lol...

Also, T, finally got what you meant...there are posts under that Cheers and Jeers even though it says 0. duh, that's what you said?
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Timeout wrote:that's what you said?

What I tried to say.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 pm

in fact comments have been posted.

Lol, T- That is what you did say, I think you stated it very clearly.
perhaps their glasses were upside down...
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down