Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Why Wouldn't a Life Insurance Policy Solve this Problem? "

Go down

"Why Wouldn't a Life Insurance Policy Solve this Problem? " Empty "Why Wouldn't a Life Insurance Policy Solve this Problem? "

Post by Z Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Why Wouldn't a Life Insurance Policy Solve this Problem?

by Anne Jordan

Katherine Wiltuck at DAFS, has brought to my attention some language in the citizen’s referendum that could create some real hardship and create quite a controversy that you should all be aware of.

Currently, if a law enforcement officer, firefighter or EMT dies in the line of duty their survivors are eligible for a one time payment of $50,000 from the State of Maine . The legislative authority for that is in 25 MRSA Section 1612. Sections 1612(7) provides that funding for this benefit comes from the Budget stabilization fund.

Section 11 of the proposed law going out to voters repeals the funding source for these benefits. The proposed law does not appear to provide any other source of funding to pay the death benefits. It simply states that the section that authorizes payment from the fund is repealed.

I wanted to bring this to the Governor’s attention because once word gets out on this there will most likely be a firestorm of protest.

From a public policy standpoint, I think it is appalling that Maine would deny these very necessary benefits. Our law enforcement officers, firefighters and EMT’s put their lives on the line for Maine citizen’s every day. To deny their grieving families a small payment that will cover funeral expenses and living expenses is inexcusable and horrible.
"

Perhaps not all can afford life insurance. Particularly the many who volunteer their services.

Last edited by Z on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Misplaced quotations.)

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down