Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In response to R. Ortez

+5
Admin
KevinNSaisi
xmashen
Timeout
911Dispatcher
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

In response to R. Ortez Empty In response to R. Ortez

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:29 pm

I debated for a long time in voicing my opinion on the
controversy in Rumford between some of the citizens, a few selectman, a publication
and the Fire and Police Department. With
the last letter written by R Ortez in the Rumford Reporter I could no longer
remain silent. I grew up in the Rumford
area, actually Peru
if you want specifics, and am disappointed to see the direction the area is
headed in. My father was very involved
in the community and surrounding communities including Rumford. I have fond memories of the small towns in Maine. From the close communities, to knowing your
neighbors, and enjoying life a small town offers. When I graduated I moved from these small
towns in Maine to a similar small
town in Alaska. This is where I found my calling as a 911
dispatcher and love for criminal justice.
Most think of dispatching as a job that saves lives. I would like to say right now that saving
lives is not what the job is about.
Actually saving lives is far and few between and if that were the sole
purpose of the job I would be sadly disappointed. A job in law enforcement is more about
helping people. I go to work everyday
knowing that every call I take I am helping someone. Whether it is a simple question about where a
road is located to giving CPR instructions over the phone, helping people is
why I love this profession. I can also
say honestly that most others in law enforcement are in the profession for the
same reason.

I take great offense to the letter that was written by R.
Ortez. I also take great offense to the
attitude and approach the Rumford Reporter has had towards this profession. I do understand their frustration with budget
issues and their right to question policies and procedures. However, their blatant attack on the Rumford
Police Department and the Rumford Fire Department is completely uncalled for. I ask that R. Ortez and the editors of the
Rumford Reporter walk a day in my shoes or anyone in law enforcement. I have worked in towns similar if not smaller
than the size of Rumford and can tell you crime and tragedy can happen here
too. I can tell you stories (which are
now all public information and have been reported in the newspaper) of the 13
year old girl who witnessed her mother shoot her significant other, point the
gun at the 13 year old, and then turn the gun on herself in a town with less
than 5,000 residents. I can talk about
my co worker who worked the night her close friend and law enforcement officer
was conducting a routine traffic stop and was fatally shot in a town of 6,000
residents. I can talk about an incident
in that same town where an officer was shot by an upset husband while he
responded to a domestic violence call. I
can also talk about the male who blew just over a .08 after killing his 5 year
old daughter in motor vehicle accident.
So R. Ortez comment that “We don't give a damn about your mangled
license plate stops, your unregistered or uninspected vehicle stops, your .08
OUI stops, your headlight, taillight, or license plate light out stops, your no
seat belt wearing stops” I can see where he has never educated himself about law
enforcement. If I read his comment that “If
you read the crimes (referring to the crime bulletin), they are police driven.” I can see he actually believes that the
officer was responsible for making a person drink and get behind the
wheel. I can see where he believes a
police officer was responsible for a husband beating his wife from the confines
of their home. I can also see from his
comment “now you are hell bent on destroying any and all economic development
efforts in Rumford by scaring people away with your outlandish claims” that he
believes the outlandish claims, the charges against persons, are all
fabricated. That he believes most things
with law enforcement are fabricated. I
would like to speak with R. Ortez, and the editors of the Rumford Reporter and have
them speak with the family members of the fallen officers in Maine
and let him repeat his comment “You Maine cops are clueless and are raping the
taxpayer, which is about the only crime we have here.” I’d also like them to meet the countless
victims of various crimes and have them repeat his comment about those officers
who helped the victims find justice that “The only reason your crime is high is
because you go looking for it so you can justify your bloated budget.”

Honestly I do have an even better idea. I call on R. Ortez and the editors of the
Rumford Reporter to look farther than their front door step. I ask if they care about the community they
take steps to educate themselves on the profession. Be open minded and see both sides before
making a judgment.

Sincerely,

Erin Cox
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

In response to R. Ortez Empty Re: In response to R. Ortez

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Sorry I pasted so the lines are a little off.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Extremely well-written post 911... thanks for reminding us once again that the attacks fall on real people and not just faceless entities that can be discounted or categorized.

For the record, the google search shows R. Ortez to be an actor who appeared as character "John Doe" in a 2002 CSI episode... so you know the poster has learned most of what they know about the PD from a tv show.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Thanks you TO. I also sent this to JSN and the SunJournal editorial page. I also realized who R. Ortez was. I printed my name along with references (including Rob Cameron) so she could not accuse me of being someone else. JSN needs to come to the 21 century and realize almost every state and city sends their information to the newspapers. Its called press releases and is required by law if the news paper requests it. Also about 90% of newspapers are now online and have a comment section. She is sooo much like Palin its scary (and I know Palin personally)

Last edited by 911Dispatcher on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:09 pm

wow. I was also bowled over by the posting from 911. It was heartfelt and knowledgeable from first hand experience.

I can only look forward to the next TRR LTE from " Clark Kent, concerned citizen".

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:26 pm

911Dispatcher,
Thanks for such an eye-opening and thoughtful post. I DO Hope it gets read by many.

Never once did I think R Ortez was a real person. At first I thought it was from JSN, but then, seeing how active Jason was on the site yesterday, I am guessing the post was his, ghost written, of course, by someone else (his wife, maybe).

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:29 pm

911Dispatcher,
Thank you for your comments. I am a fiscal conservative, but i am also an EMT. I understand the balance between safety and budget cuts. I have tried to avoid reading TRR, but comments here often pique my curiosity (similar to rubbernecking at a crash scene). It is my belief that JSN is not the sole author, as others have indicated. She is joined by a couple of others in town who once were the head of the "resistance" movement, but have now become power hungry. When we worked together to oust the town leaders who were abusing their office, everything was fine... we got along really well. However, once the goal was achieved, the core group turned on everyone who didn't accept everything the leader said (kinda like a cult). Now, they are bitterly attacking everyone and everything. Their negative attitude has driven away most of their supporters. In June, they will likely support someone for the position of Selectmen. What they didn't figure on is that they will no longer have the support base to get a person elected. I personally will endorse another candidate and campaign against their candidate. They have provided ample fodder to be used against them. In the past I was known for being reasonable and logical.

I am sure that the people of Rumford will elect a reasonable moderate person who can provide leadership for our community.

Have a GREAT day!
Kevin N. Saisi, EMT-B
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

In response to R. Ortez Empty text formating was off

Post by Admin Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:56 pm

Dear Erin,

Thank you for your letter. It really puts the attacks on our Police and Fire Department in perspective. You are completely correct when you say most people get into public safety because they want to help others, to feel good about a job where helping the community and making a difference is the main reason for going to work every day. Unfortunately they have to deal with some of the worst things that any of us will ever have to deal with. Even if we can’t support them fiscally the way they should be, we can at least support them publicly. We certainly should never treat our public servants the way they have been treated by TRR in this town.

I don’t know how long you’ve been visiting our site but this battle has gone on for awhile now. Although there may be more than one person who writes on the TRR site, everyone seems to share the same belief there: that’s it OK to trash the public employees of this town. We have tried to fight back against these attacks as best as we know how. We correct misinformation, support our public employees and call out bullying and abusive behavior when we see it. Our anger may boil over once in awhile but we mean well.

Your letter is sure to make a difference in this community. You’re right about the town being a place of knowing your neighbors and being able to enjoy small town life. Most people here still do that. It only takes a few to turn the political side of town into a war zone… and it has been. Most of us look forward to the day when things will calm down here again.

Thank you for writing and for caring enough to try to make a difference. Rest assured you have.

Sincerely,

TRVFP
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:09 pm

I've been following activity in Rumford since I left and have been on this site for the past year. I visit home every year and still communicate with many people in the area. Just to give the readers an idea of who I am to better clarify my understanding of the town My father was David Cox or Mr. Cox to many. He was a teacher at Peru Elementary and then principal of Dirigo High School. Many people in Rumford know him from his officating basketball and soccer games. I grew up with an understanding that community was important and reaching those who needed help and guidance was also important.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm sure your dad is very proud of you. You’re certainly following his lead.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks Chuck, He passed away in 2000.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.
Chuck
Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:09 pm

The following is posted at the bottom of the R Ortez letter on TRR. Must be from Mr. "too sexy" Thompson:

Editor's Note: We got a response to this letter to the editor from someone who claimed to be a friend of Rob Camerons and they accused Mr. Ortez and TRR of not respecting the law enforcement profession. In response, we informed this person that it costs us close to 2 million dollars a year to keep the RPD & RFD going. The day they start showing some respect for the taxpayer and stop treating our lower income citizens like they are scum is the day that the Rumford Reporter will ease up. In the meantime, if you don't like the Rumford Reporter then don't read it. And, while you are at it, check out the FBI Crime Index for Rumford, Maine. According to them, we have less than 10 violent crimes per year and maybe 150 property crimes per year. That isn't even enough crime to keep one full time police officer busy and we have 12! The Chief spends all his time justifying why we need 12 officers as opposed to getting out on the road to help his other police officers who are so overworked with all the crime they look for. It's a joke! This isn't about the profession of law enforcement but it is about accountability and not biting the hand that feeds you.

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 pm

That's one angry bunch.

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:29 pm

The Rumford Reporter lecturing on the subject of respect? Laughable...

From The Rumford Reporter:
"The day they [RPD & RFD] start showing some respect for the taxpayer and stop treating our lower income citizens like they are scum is the day that the Rumford Reporter will ease up."

From The Rumford Reporter:
"Overall, the Rumford community is a very safe place aside from a couple streets in the Waldo area."

"Rumford is a very safe town with the exception of a small area that contains old, very affordable apartment buildings that stand feet apart from each other. These crowded conditions with no space or opportunity for recreation gives rise to increased misbehavior."

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 pm

"Editor's Note: We got a response to this letter"

Jennifer Stowell-Norris, why not publish the letter for all to read?

T

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 am

What planet did these people come from??? Lol, I'm speechless that must mean I'm up too late....
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Heres the response I got from the letter that was also submitted to the Rumford Reporter....

You don't live here now and you don't know what
these guys put our community through. They do more harm than good and it
costs us close to 2 million dollars a year to keep them going. The day
they start showing some respect for the taxpayer and stop treating our lower
income citizens like they are scum is the day that the Rumford Reporter
will ease up. In the meantime, if you don't like the Rumford Reporter then
don't read it. And, while you are at it, check out the FBI Crime Index for
Rumford, Maine. According to them, we have less than 10 violent crimes per
year and maybe 150 property crimes per year. That isn't even enough crime
to keep one full time police officer busy and we have 12! The Chief spends
all his time justifying why we need 12 officers as opposed to getting out on the
road to help his other police officers who are so overworked with all the crime
they look for. It's a joke! This isn't about the profession of
law enforcement but it is about accountability and not biting the hand that
feeds you. The letter from R Ortez stays.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:52 pm

That's pretty sad! I wish we could get a direct response from Stacey Carter or any other member of the police force.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:53 pm

btw, i guess it's safe to assume your letter was never published.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:13 pm

911Dispatcher,
I hope you're not feeling too disheartened by the callous response from TRR. Keep in mind that the likelihood of R Ortez being an actual person is slim and the letter was likely written by one of the vengeful malcontents of that site. This is another one of their muck-raking, malevolent ploys.

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:04 pm

One of the things I find very funny, is the fact that TRR preaches about economical development and bringing business to town, do they not understand the Fire and Police departments along with Public works should be a selling point? Instead of selling what good services we have in town they use us as a place to take cheap shots from someone that doesn’t even exist! All I can say is it is a good thing those of us that serve the citizens everyday and still go through this, can have the composure to stay professional.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by C Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:16 pm

I think the FD and PD know (at least they should) that the TRR crew definitely only represent a very very small portion (likely fewer than a dozen people) of the community. It's amazing how loud that small portion can squawk though! Eventually everyone will learn to tune them out.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:27 pm

C wrote:I think the FD and PD know (at least they should) that the TRR crew definitely only represent a very very small portion (likely fewer than a dozen people) of the community. It's amazing how loud that small portion can squawk though! Eventually everyone will learn to tune them out.

I believe there are two vocal members and a small handful of silent supporters.

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I like the fact that "I CLAIM to be a friend of Rob Cameron". Rob Cameron has known me since birth! Frank Diconzo knows exactly who I am (and who my father was), maybe she should confirm who I am with her lackeys! Matt Peterson (who shes supporting) has known me since we were 3, maybe she should ask him. Also just because I moved away does not make me ignorant or uninformed on what happens in Rumford. If they have any questions why not just ask one of the above I mentioned. Or is actual research a little above (below) their standard? I have a good example for her. She claims to be so much like Sarah Palin and how much respect she has for her. I can say that JSN or TRR editors do not live in Wasilla Alaska and don't know what havic Sarah has done. She truly is a liar and a vindictive person, I have seen this first hand. Yet I don't claim to be the only one who can have a opinion about her. I also will be sending her a letter to inform her on why certain types of stops (i.e. headlight out, .08 OUI stops, etc.) are of importance. I guess I just don't see the harm in trying to see both sides (which is what my letter was about). I wonder why someone so involved in the community has never taken the opportunity to particpate in the citizens police academy. Especially when this program is so deeply involved in the every day lives of those she claims to be serving. For those concerned that I was going to be discouraged...don't worry. I fully expected this type of response.
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next