Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

response to TRR editorial

2 posters

Go down

response to TRR editorial Empty response to TRR editorial

Post by xmashen Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:51 pm

This is a response to the latest “editorial “ in TRR. I am giving full credit to it’s “unknown” author. My comments are were suppose to be in blue (the color it makes me feel when I read this stuff. But instead are in italics) These postings in TRR cannot go unchallenged, even under the threat of being called “ BULLYING” . If there is one bully lurking in the schoolyard…..

I apologize for its length (I wish I could also apologize for its content, but that will have to stand).

“The Rumford Reporter is a newspaper dedicated to the community member’s (you got that right, a single member) perspective. The Rumford Reporter was created as a mechanism to present the community’s thoughts, feelings, and perceptions(as well as a few misperceptions) However it has yet to function that way because the real community is not allowed a voice unless in complete support of the editor.. The Rumford Reporter believes the government should be of the people, by the people, and for the people (Gee thanks for quoting the Declaration of Independence… gives a lot of street cred …. not). The Rumford Reporter believes that in order for any town to be successful that government must operate on the side of the people.(Or simply “on the side)

The Town of Rumford has had a history of making decisions that don’t make the community the number one priority.( An example here, would be nice. .most journalists would provide such ).The Town of Rumford has had a history of “tax and spend” in an effort to benefit a few. ( Another valid example would be nice , sorry to repeat…) In a time, when the valuation of the mill is declining, the infrastructure is failing, the unemployment rates are rising, and the cost of living is increasing, it is even more important now than ever to make decisions that ensure the success of our community members. (or member, as the case may be, or at least the ever-diminishing few you like)

It is the hope of the Rumford Reporter that we will come together as a community to address all of the issues because we are all interconnected. (NO! hopefully I am NOT related to you!)

(I try to picture you at a nice cozy sit-down with Chief Carter, the police department, the fire department, and the board of the Catholic School, but then I have to stop myself..it gets too much like “bride of chuckie”) The municipality is a key focal point in the community because the decisions they make and the way they spend money has a direct impact on all of us. They are an entity established (and for the most part elected) to ensure our needs are met. We gave them the power to act on our behalf and attend to the public good. But, we need to get involved, understand how our government works, and make our voices heard if we want to ensure that we are being represented appropriately. (No disagreement here.)

The Rumford Reporter is a tool that can be used as a form of checks and balances. (Yes, CAN be used, but has yet only presented heavily biased views.) Unfortunately, over time it has become painfully clear that our local newspapers to include both the Sun Journal and the Rumford Falls Times are slanted on the side of the municipality. (And how do you define “slanted”? do you mean slanted in FAVOR OF RUMFORD?) The Sun Journal clearly treads on our town and those who are trying to do the right thing and does not provide an accurate depiction of who we are and what we stand for. I (don’t you mean “WE”?) have attended many Selectmen’s meetings and meetings in general (other meeting’s don’t count) that have not been clearly represented the next day in the newspapers (nor, in my opinion on your site). The Rumford Reporter has become an instrumental tool in our fight to represent the community and ensure accurate information is provided to our citizenry. (Oh, I can’t really bear to comment on this!)
Rumford is definitely moving in the right direction. (Yes, I hear you’re being deployed.) The voters have become empowered through the secret ballot process, thanks to Seth Carey (talk about secret… anyone remember EVERGREEN?) and Mark Belanger. We no longer have the destiny of the town placed in the hands of a few where budgets are concerned. In the past, in an Annual Town Meeting format, it was easy for a budget to get passed that in effect raised our taxes because the town employees or those with a vested interest in a higher budget ensured that the meeting hall was full of those who would support those agendas. (HOW DARE THOSE CITIZENS HAVE THE GALL TO SHOW UP TO REPRESENT THEMSELVES!)

The Rumford Reporter wants to help give our citizens a voice. (Ok, not even going there!) We have stood by for years (how many? Since you got kicked out of Lisbon?) and watched our community decay. It is time that we unite to ensure that our tax dollars are used in an efficient, effective way. It is time that we ensure our tax dollars are used to invest in our community to include our infrastructure (by this, I can only assume you mean “ my new job”). It is time to ensure that the government is put back on the side of the people (ME!) so that we (OK, I mean “ I”) can all be successful in the future.” (Sincerely, your future economic developer).
[i]

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

response to TRR editorial Empty Re: response to TRR editorial

Post by Timeout Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:04 pm

Are you sure JSN wrote this? Sounds exactly like Frank to me. His campaign slogan was something about a man of the people, for the people...

Last edited by Timeout on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:07 pm

well, maybe it was the Easter Bunny, but my guess is it's JSN. who else is pushing so hard for the ED job which is so clearly couched in this "editorial " about "helping the poor citizens of Rumford"?

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 pm

Good job, xmashen. Very funny, sadly true.....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down