Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon

4 posters

Go down

Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon Empty Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon

Post by KevinNSaisi Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvMbeVQj6Lw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOdlnzkeoyQ

This will be an interesting one to discuss. Please take time to watch both videos before commenting. We wouldn't want you to be speaking in ignorance Smile

Last edited by C on Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Moderator edit: Changing the title after responses doesn't sit well with me....)
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon Empty Re: Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon

Post by C Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Rev. Wright did speak a lot of truth, but I think it is people like him who exacerbate the belief that African Americans are still oppressed because of white people. I think on some levels in today's society the African Americans have more advantage than white people. Wright and many others are persecuting today's society of white people for the actions of their long dead ancestors. This keeps them in the victim mindset and fills them with a sense of entitlement to a lifetime of reparations (that I don't feel the rest of society owes) that they will never be satisfied with. I think any oppression they suffer now is the result of their own life choices.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon Empty Re: Was Wright Wrong??? Hear the whole sermon

Post by KevinNSaisi Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:42 pm

C wrote:Rev. Wright did speak a lot of truth, but I think it is people like him who exacerbate the belief that African Americans are still oppressed because of white people. I think on some levels in today's society the African Americans have more advantage than white people. Wright and many others are persecuting today's society of white people for the actions of their long dead ancestors. This keeps them in the victim mindset and fills them with a sense of entitlement to a lifetime of reparations (that I don't feel the rest of society owes) that they will never be satisfied with. I think any oppression they suffer now is the result of their own life choices.

Good point, there are some who do that, and the sermons posted do reflect such a stance. My question is related to the political comments made regarding America.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Kevin,

As I watched the videos, I was mentally transported back 40 years listening to the rantings of Malcolm X, Huey Newton and Bobby Seale. They were justified in their anger toward the status quo that suppressed African Americans. Since those times, there have been quantum advances in the opportunities for people of color. But to hear this "preacher" reach back and dig up those same arguments is reprehensible. In this day and age when an African American attains the highest office in the land, Rev. Wright's vicious oratory is irrelevant. Were there injustices in the past? Yes! Do injustices still occur? Yes, but not to the degree or intensity of years gone by. If he wants to criticize the government or its leaders, that is his prerogative..and I will defend to the death his right to do so. But I cannot condone his invective exclaiming "God Damn America". Too many "white" people have sacrificed their lives defending this country to have this "black" man denigrate their memories by damning the country that provides him the bully pulpit and the freedom to use it.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:04 pm

steve wrote:Kevin,

But I cannot condone his invective exclaiming "God Damn America". Too many "white" people have sacrificed their lives defending this country to have this "black" man denigrate their memories by damning the country that provides him the bully pulpit and the freedom to use it.

Perhaps you could benefit from listening again. This time, perhaps you could hear the true message if you put aside the analysis of the "angry black man", and focus instead on the logical analysis for his comments. Yes, his wording is a bit strong and postentially offensive, but if you focus on the larger message, you may see it differently.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:06 pm

Also, please note that we live in a region of the nation that is not subject to the same level of predudice as other regions. While it is true that African Americans are not oppressed here, ther are other areas of this great country who have't successfully transitioned out of the 1960's.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:35 am

KevinNSaisi wrote:Perhaps you could benefit from listening again. This time, perhaps you could hear the true message if you put aside the analysis of the "angry black man", and focus instead on the logical analysis for his comments. Yes, his wording is a bit strong and postentially offensive, but if you focus on the larger message, you may see it differently.

Kevin, I have watched the videos several times, and I stand by my original comments. The "reverend" makes valid points, but they are, for the most part, anachrnonistic. It is attitudes such as his that perpetuate the feeling among African Americans that they are still oppressed and entitled to whatever "free lunch" is available. I cannot and will not condone his venemous diatribe.

And as for other parts of the nation, I have lived all over this country including eight years just outside Jackson, MS. Granted, among the "older" whites there was still evidence of the plantation mentality. But the "boomers" and younger people did not exhibit the attitudes and behavior so vehemently castigated by "reverend" Wright. So please, be sure of your facts before you put them out for others to digest.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 am

Steve,
There you go using tactics to attempt to characterize my opinion as ignorant. You are also mixing topics, which diverts the focus of the conversation. Please stop using these tactics and stay on topic.

Let's focus on the bibical analysis of our government's actions.

The speaker (yes, I am taking his race out of the equasion) suggests that the attacks upon our country are the result of years of attacks by our government upon innocent civilians in other countries. He sites a bibical verse that condemns such actions and then attributes the condemnation to the U.S. based upon the previous actions. If he had said "our country was naughty", it wouldn't convey the same message. He is saying that in his interpretation of the bible God damns America in stark contrast to the common slogan "God Bless America".
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:44 am

In this day and age when an African American attains the highest office
in the land, Rev. Wright's vicious oratory is irrelevant.
I totally agree with Steve. I too watched the video and am still not sure what Kevin was hoping we would see. I see speeches and mindset such as Wright's as what is hindering racial unity in this country.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:07 pm

Let's look at the political statement, not the racial aspect.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 pm

What is the political statement and is it easily divided from the racial aspect?
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Was Obama even a Presidential candidate when this was recorded? There is no date that indicates when it was recorded...
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:18 pm

I guess I didn't think I had to explain due to the high media exposure Reverand Wright has experinced for his "God Damn America" quote. I should have been clearer. My question is... After hearing his entire sermon, was Reverand Wright inaccurate in his assessment of the bibical reflection on our government's actions?
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 pm

C,
Given the political tactics used, it really doesn't matter if Mr. Obama was a candidate. The attempt was to link Mr. Obama with Mr. Wright's comments. Instead of trying to dis-associate the two, I thought it would be interesting to check the validity of the comments made.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:29 pm

was Reverand Wright inaccurate in his assessment of the bibical reflection on our government's actions?

No, I don't believe he was. Do you seriously think God was sitting upstairs saying "Bless You America" while we bombed Hiroshima or while we beat and chained slaves?
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:35 pm

C, I don't think he was but maybe his son was saying, "Bless them Father for they know not what they do"?
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 pm

At the risk of being further off topic, I will add that I always thought "God bless America" was a prayer and not a slogan.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down