Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love those Volunteers

+6
xmashen
KevinNSaisi
unfair
C
T
Timeout
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Love those Volunteers Empty Love those Volunteers

Post by Timeout Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:38 pm

Hey, just heard that the Board voted 3-2 against the only volunteer for the Parks Commission. We just love our volunteers here in Rumford! Anyone else want a turn before the firing squad? Step right up.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Love those Volunteers Empty Re: Love those Volunteers

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:07 am

Wait, I seem to remember a young woman getting up to the podium a year and a half ago and offering comfort to the man, telling him that it wasn't personal and that he had to make way for new blood. I remember feeling embarrassed for her, thinking what the heck is she talking about? Of course it's personal. Kinda looks that way now, doesn't it?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by T Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:20 am

I'm in the dark here...

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:16 am

Jason Thompson resigned from the Parks Commission when he moved from town recently. The only applicant for the position was Rick White, who had served on the Commission for quite a few years.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:29 am

Dan Richards had to resign last night because he doesn't live in Rumford, Cheryl Dickson had to resign from the Med_care board because she lives in Dixfield.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:26 am

Dan Richards did not resign. Cheryl Dickson resigned on her own because she's moving to Canton.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:04 am

Anyhow, back to Rick White. I remember that was the night Mr. Boivin said he didn't have to give his reason for replacing Mr. White. Pretty amazing and quoted here from the July 23, 2007 copy of the Sun Journal: "Smiling broadly, Selectman Arthur Boivin, said, 'I'm glad I live in the U.S.A. and can make choices the way I want without having to give explanations.'" Can't you just picture it?

Read the article if you have time - "http://www.sunjournal.com/story/222029-3/RiverValley/Board_grilled_on_choices/" in the back issues of Sun Journal in the River Valley section.

The good news is that Carey has toned down a lot since then.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:31 am

"I have my reasons, Rick, and I decline to go public with them," DiConzo said.

If there is no one to fill that position why are they not letting him on the board? Selectboard members who have a personal conflict of interest aren't supposed to vote...
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:37 am

Same SJ article: "'It's nothing personal. We're just trying to give someone else a chance,' Belanger said."

Who are they trying to give a chance to now?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by unfair Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:15 pm

Timeout and others: I couldn't agree with you more. This really is a personal matter it appears between Frank and Rick White. I have known both for a lot of years and I have seen the work that Rick has done for the town and the school system. He has worked very hard and should have been allowed back on the Parks Commission. Especially if he is the only one that sent a letter in. This is total BS...

C: your 100% correct. However, it does not apply to the certain few members of the current board of selectmen. Arthur, Frank and Mark need to think about their actions. They have begged people to take an interest in this town and volunteer for different boards. They can't get people to stick their neck out to be on them and then when you get someone that is will to do it again they shoot him down...Great elected officials they have become. Mr Adley and Mr Cameron thank you for being the leaders that you are. You noticed that I used mister before the last two. They have earned that respect. The other three have not.

Jason I hope all is going well for you and your wife. It appears that you made the right move getting out of town when you did. Best of luck to you and your wife. Take care of your son as well.

unfair

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:09 pm

unfair wrote:

Jason I hope all is going well for you and your wife. It appears that you made the right move getting out of town when you did. Best of luck to you and your wife. Take care of your son as well.

Thanks...Best move my family and I have ever made

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:04 am

If it were just a personal matter between Rick and Frank, why would the others have supported the decision? Frank couldn't have blocked the appointment with his one vote. Perhaps, as they have done in the past, the board is withholding the details of why they decided a certain way to keep from disclosing information that would be harmful to the individual's reputation in the community. Disclosure of such information could also lead to costly legal battles. If this is the case, I support their choice to withhold such information.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:41 pm

Wow, that's so big of them to want to protect Rick's reputation. Sounds like it might be a good theory and since they're such nice guys, you could be right. I'm not as nice and tend more toward the cynical side. Since the vote against Rick happened in conjunction with them trying to get Dan Richards, I can't help but wonder if they are trying to get rid of a commission that has it's own board. Selectmen don't have as much power over Parks Commission as they do over the town employees. The charter is written that way for the Town Library as well as the Parks Commission. Next they'll be trying to change that... Maybe I'm being too hard on them. Time will tell.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:44 pm

I hope they do get rid of the Parks Board, It seems that some previous member and CURRENT seem to think there not answerable to anyone and when indeed they are answerable to the BOS and the TM, People need to realize this board is way out of control, It was out of control when I got on the board.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:46 pm

There you go...just what I thought.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Timeout wrote:There you go...just what I thought.

What are you talking about, are you saying I am wrong and right full of it, Timeout, I sat on the board, I have worked there before, People are out of control, Sorry you don;t like what I have to say but it is the truth, I did 't just get off the board cause we moved, I got off because there was some things going on that weren't right, and no one wanted to listen to me, Well I take that back Len did but that was it, The Parks Commission is out of control along with the Superindent, and I'm not ashamed to say it, I should have gone public about it long before this, Relax thought Timeout NO ONE is putting me up to this, This is all me, Ban me from the forum for the Truth That's fine, say what you want about me, If you want to hear stories about the Park Commission, I will tell ya all you will want to no... That's all I have for now, I'm heading to Lewiston Christmas Shopping

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Jason, what makes you think that ANYONE would trust you?

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:30 pm

just the fact that you say " NO ONE is putting me up to this" makes me think that someone IS.... it's sort of your history of being used. Sorry to be cynical, but I am. If you want to be trusted and liked, then you will need to step up to the plate and , first, be NICE, and second, be CREDIBLE. If i am wrong, let me know. I can take it.

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Jason writes: Ban me from the forum for the Truth That's fine,
Only C and I can ban people from the forum, and we don't do that just because people disagree with each other or share their opinion here.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:18 pm

and let's not forget that famous line from the Godfather " keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".

xmashen

Back to top Go down

Post by C Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:55 am

It seems when things aren't going the way a single or a few members on a board (or even members of one board regarding another) want things to go or some don't feel they have the authority they feel should be granted to them, they are quick to work at convincing others that this group is doing wrong, breaking rules or "out of control". The fire dept. is deemed out of control because RT doesn't have the lone authority to "teach them a lesson", other groups have been deemed out of control. A person/group who doesn't respond or behave as directed under coercion is also considered "out of control". Out of who's control? If you identify who is crying longest and loudest that is likely the person who feels wronged, they don't feel recognized as the dominating influence they know themselves to be and don't have the respect, power and control that feel they deserve.

Coercion
is the practice of compelling a person to behave in an involuntary way (whether through action or inaction) by
use of threats, intimidation or some other form of pressure or force. Coercion may
typically involve the actual infliction of physical or psychological harm in order to enhance the credibility of a threat. The threat of further harm may then lead to the cooperation or obedience of the person being coerced.

Respect is an earned and much needed quality when it comes to our community because you have to have respect to work with other people. If you have not earned any respect yourself, you likely have none to give others.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:41 am

Well stated C. However, the perception of being "out of control" can also derive from seeing a board constantly run roughshod over the rules and procedures. When an entity who is accountable to a higher authority, fails to comply with or accept direction from that authority, the perception perpetuates. We hvae seen this with both our boards and committees, as well as the selectmen themselves over the years. Despite the perception of some, if you look objectively at some of the actions of the current board, you will see that they have worked to enforce the Charter and Ordinance provisions requiring accountrability. Some have called this micro-managing, while others realize that such actions are merely within the designn of our town. That is not to say that the board has not ovberstepped their authority from time to time, but they have been much more compliant to the lines of authority than previous boards.

As for the Park Commission, I have no first hand knowledge of their actions. I believe that there was a time when they assumed the responsibility of awarding btheir own bids, in violation of our bid process. Also, It is my understanding that the Town Manager is the administrative head of the commission. With all due respect to Mr. Gallant, I believe the position he holds was intended to be a groundskeeper, not a department head. If we checked the records, we may even find that the commission themselves were initially the groundskeepers, and the department had no staff. However, that was likely before the expansion of the Hosmer Field complex, when the facility may have been partially maintained by the mill, who owned the property. There are no provisions for employees th the Charter. The changes over time probably came due to necessity when the mill stopped being the town's sugar daddy. The shift of authority was likely acquired over time. While it is sensible for things to adapt as situations change, it is important to make the changes in the Charter before making the changes in process.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Mr Gallant made it out to be a Department Head, Not anyone else, It was always in the past the Superintended was the Lead Groundskeeper, NOT Department head, I Have the Job Description for the Parks Superintendent as of today, and there has not been a new one in place yet, I will have to look and post it here for you all to read..

jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:06 pm

The Parks Department and the Library fall under the same section of the By-Laws page 11 and the Charter Section XVIII.

By-Laws say "The Park Commission shall be and is hereby charged with the duty of developing, maintaining and operating,...", etc., etc.

Neither the Charter nor the By-Laws say anything about the specific duties of the Parks Superintendent.

There is not anything to indicate that the Department is run contrary to the Town Charter or it's By-Laws.

I would say the duties of the staff have probably grown as a result of development...which is one of the Park Commission's charged duties. Maybe that's where people are confused?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:25 pm

I supppose the thread is digressing...the original topic was why the selectmen did not appoint the only volunteer to the commission. Jason hopes we get rid of the Park Commission because it's "out of control". Kevin suggests the current situation may not be in keeping with the Charter, which I'm not seeing in either the Charter or the By-Laws.

Anyone else think they know why the Board turned down the only volunteer? I only ask because sometimes people here have a tendency to go on gossip and, "Oh, I can't tell you just how terrible it is!" in order to not make their point.

If the Board truly felt the only candidate had some situation that would warrant their not appointing him, then why did they do it so publicly along with Chairman Boivin's unkind comments? They could have held an interview and come out saying there were no suitable candidates and readvertised. Instead they turned it into a distasteful public event. Wow, now we all get to watch it on television. These guys love to "send messages". What's the message this time?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next