Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MVHS Music

Go down

MVHS Music Empty MVHS Music

Post by Timeout Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Our family enjoyed a delightful experience last night at the MVHS Music Department's 2008 winter concert. Music director Mike Prescott blended a variety of musical genres, creating texture and richness enough to rival a victorian crazy quilt. Composers such as Vince Guaraldi, Mendelssohn and Carl Orff were pieced together with the theme from The Simpsons, and reinforced with artists such as Bill Withers, Glenn Miller, Damien Rice and The Average White Band. What a combo...and it totally worked.

Special performances included an outstanding percussion class debut. The back sticking and other techniques of what surprisingly were first year drummers, led by an experienced upper classman, riveted my attention to the stage. I could have watched and listened to them all night, and it was just drums...no other instruments.

Two students performed Damien Rice's "Volcano", with voices that sounded like Melissa Etheridge with Aaron Neville, and two female students sang harmonies reminiscent of the Indigo Girls while rendering an original Christmas love song. One of the co-writers played accoustic guitar, creating a sound that made me think they would be going places in the music world. Tears fell down my cheeks at the sheer beauty of it. I brought my daughter's father to hear it this morning at the school assembly and he had a pretty similar reaction. (Of course he now denies having watery eyes.)

As a parent of two musical students, one in MVMS and one in MVHS, I greatly appreciate the high standards set by SAD 43, MVHS and Mr. Prescott. If you want to take a look at what the MVHS Music Department is doing - and it's pretty amazing - go to their new website on mvhs.msad43.org.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down