Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What happened at the MVHS School on Friday

+4
Z
Timeout
KevinNSaisi
ValleyGirl
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What happened at the MVHS School on Friday Empty What happened at the MVHS School on Friday

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Why was the school in a lock down mode. My wife would have known all about it but she was away for work.

Jason

Back to top Go down

What happened at the MVHS School on Friday Empty Re: What happened at the MVHS School on Friday

Post by ValleyGirl Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:35 pm

A note containing a bomb threat was left in one of the boys' bathrooms. After the auditorium was checked, students were moved there while the rest of the building was checked. Classes resumed after the building was cleared; the whole incident lasted about an hour and a half, maybe a bit less.

ValleyGirl

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

What happened at the MVHS School on Friday Empty Re: What happened at the MVHS School on Friday

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:22 pm

Thanks....I would think they would get the students out of the school, But I guess it it don't blow up they are safe and if it does then there is a serious liability problem

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Proved wrong through research :))
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:44 pm

If people think the school is becoming complacent, they don't know the story. As a very conservative safety-conscious parent I am satisfied with their course of action. If the threats continue, and they just had one last week, they will have to conduct backpack checks and install portals. Someone knows who did it...let the school and the police do their job and be supportive or be quiet. There are a lot of things here that you're not considering. The school has a protocol to follow that seems quite satisfactory to me. Also, students are already targeting unpopular students as the culprit...beside the bomb threat, there are other dangers in this situation.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Timeout wrote:If the threats continue, and they just had one last week, they will have to conduct backpack checks and install portals. Someone knows who did it....

They should have been doing this a long time ago, I don't belive the RPD know what they would be looking for, I say bring the State Police in, they are trained for this stuff and keep RPD out on the street passing out tickets....JMO I welcome yours

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I am sure that when the note was found, the proper agencies were contacted. I am also quite sure that these agencies have an idea of what they are doing. They train for situations like this. They have the knowledge to handle these situations. They have the resources. We need to trust that they are doing the job with the welfare of the children at the top of their list of priorities. This was not a fire drill. In the event of a fire, getting the students out of the building as quickly and orderly as possible is the best plan of action. With a bomb threat, where do the students go? Out of the building sounds good on the surface. Now, think about this: Where is the bomb? Is it in the building? Or is it outside the building? Maybe near on of the designated rally points for evacuation? That is why the auditorium was cleared first, then the students moved to a known safe area. The Police et. alia know what they are doing. After every incident of this type, they review every step that was taken. They do this to find pany problems that may have arisen. Or to find better plans. These incidents are studied all the time. The result is continually evolving planning for these scenarios. Trust their judgement. It is based on experience, planning, and training.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Jason & Stephanie Tho wrote:I don't belive the RPD know what they would be looking for, I say bring the State Police in, they are trained for this stuff and keep RPD out on the street passing out tickets....

Jason and Stephanie, it appears you are taking this very serious situation as an opportunity to slam the police department. I don't get it.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:20 pm

Thank you Z, you also bring up an excellent point about safest place to be during a bomb scare. Cyclone, hurricane, bomb - don't go outside...get under something and away from windows.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Timeout wrote:
Jason & Stephanie Tho wrote:I don't belive the RPD know what they would be looking for, I say bring the State Police in, they are trained for this stuff and keep RPD out on the street passing out tickets....

Jason and Stephanie, it appears you are taking this very serious situation as an opportunity to slam the police department. I don't get it.

This is how RUMORS Start TIMEOUT, Jason here Steph doesn't post much here, I'm only stating how I feel because this was a problem in school, Take it the way you want, I have a couple friends who are cops in Rumford, but this is a situation that needs to be well looked at. That's why I said the State Police, I don't have an issue with RPD nor does Steph, I have an issue with the way there is a threat than they leave the kids in School, if my son was at school and there was a threat I would want him OUT of the school so they could look, also in case you didn't no when I graduated in 98 we had 56 Threats in the 4 years I was at school and the RPD and the State Police did a joint effort to investigate, so I think its time that the start doing it again, but hey WHAT THE HELL, I ain't a tax payer anymore.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Jason, one question.... did the number of threats decrease after you graduated?

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:40 pm

just wondered why you could possibly know the exact number... that's all...

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:42 pm

xmashen wrote:Jason, one question.... did the number of threats decrease after you graduated?
If you think I called the threats in you are Crazy. I have never ever been in trouble with the cops EVER and Im gonna end my discussion on this since I am not a current Tax Payer of Rumford and my Thoughts really don't matter. Good Night All..

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Z wrote:With a bomb threat, where do the students go?

This is an excellent question.

Outside might be the last place they should go for a number of reasons. Just think for a minute, and I'm sure you could come up with a few. I can, but will not list them here as I do not want to give anyone ideas.

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Jason, you say you don't believe the Rumford Police know what they are looking for. It's pretty simple, really. Anything that does not belong there. Anything that does not belong there is a potential threat. In the auditorium of the school, "anything that does not belong there" is pretty simple to identify. Something to point out here is that although everyone is calling this a "bomb threat", it is in reality a terrorist act. The whole idea behind a terrorist act is to cause.......terror. By remaining calm and in control, the terror was minimized. Confusion and chaos are a terrorists tools. Confusion and chaos will put people in bad places. So, by running into the school and getting all the students right out, what will be accomplished. The first thing that will happen is you will expose yourself to potential locations of a bomb. The doorway, the hallway, the walkway out of the school. Then you will expose the students to these locations when you take them out.
One more thing to think about. The individual who left the note succeded in what he wanted to happen. He disrupted the school. He caused fear. Or she. I believe in equal opportunity.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Jason, good to know you weren't slamming the police - my apologies for taking your post that way. In case you don't know, every student can call their parent and be picked up if so desired. You would be able to get your son if you chose to do so.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 pm

also in case you didn't no when I graduated in 98 we had 56 Threats in the 4 years

56 huh? Guess I missed a lot of school, since I graduated in 98 and can’t remember them. That would definitely be something to remember. We had some but 56 is ridiculous!
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 pm

Did you know that 9 out of 10 statistics are made up on the spot? Lol...
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 pm

I guess so!
marktripp
marktripp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:17 pm

applause grin

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:23 pm

If I recall correctly we never had a bomb scare the whole freshman year. In our sophomore year we had a couple back to back, but when they stuffed us all into busses and wouldn’t let us go home that put an end to that. No one liked sitting on a bus for hours all cramped up in an uncomfortable seat.
marktripp
marktripp

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Jason, I'm glad you pulled the post about the info being in the Annual Town Report because it's not.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanx, TO
marktripp
marktripp

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

It would probably, maybe say how many bomb threats the pd responded to but wouldn't say where.
marktripp
marktripp

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:53 pm

Ok logic and common sense kicked in a little here. If the bomb was placed in the school by a student who obviously knew the procedure of placing everyone in the gym (from past fake bomb scares), would it or would it not be a smart move on that student to then place the bomb in the gym (if they truly wanted to cause harm)? Keeping the kids inside does not seem smart. At the same time though it could be a ploy to get people to file outside where someone waiting in the tree line could then fire away at moving targets (much like a video game). In my job I've actually seen both senarios plotted out by students but thankfully they were caught before carrying out their game plan. So whats the best plan of action??? I also remember in 97 spending a beautiful September day in the baseball field at Dirigo because of a fake bomb threat made by some friends of mine. Kids will be kids!
911Dispatcher
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next