Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter

+3
Admin
C
T
7 posters

Go down

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter Empty Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter

Post by T Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:03 am

The article is too long to post in its entirety, so I've included a link.

From The Lisbon Reporter: Link

Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Overview of Our Former Town Manager's Tenure in Rumford, Maine
Steve Eldridge as a Manager
By Len Greaney

I can only speak for myself regarding Steve Eldridge's abilities as a manager. The following information is a recollection of my observations. I have had the privilege to observe hundreds of managers (good & bad) during my lifetime as a private sector senior manager in the electronics and computer industry. I have observed Steve Eldridge as a 'Middle Manager' with the fatal flaws of a 'controlling style' combined with a visible arrogance when opposed or questioned. I was not a fly on the wall to witness the recent interactions between Jennifer and Steve Eldridge in Lisbon but I have found Jennifer to be an honest and open communicator, therefore I feel that her recollections of her demise at Steve's hands is accurate and outrageous. Steve wanted to hit back at a small group of Rumford individuals. He saw Jennifer as one of those activists who opposed his management style. She had to resign her job in Lisbon when Steve became the Lisbon Town Manager.

Steve Eldridge is an interesting example of human contradiction. He has a certain charisma that attracts his prey, captures and nurtures them and keeps them close until he decides to USE them. I can speak from my experiences with Steve when I say that I became one of his strong supporters for the first several months. I saw him as a 'breath of fresh air' with a stated willingness to address several difficult issues to move our town forward. Clearly, the previous decade saw increased decay in our infrastructure due to the lack of leadership shown by our Rumford selectmen. The select board was chaired by Jim Thibodeau and supported by Jolene Lovejoy for those lost years. The emergence of the new town manager brought hope to those of us who were willing to volunteer for important projects to move the agenda for our town.

The beginning of the end came early for Steve. Shortly after his appointment, a Rumford Fire Department overtime abuse was uncovered when a newly elected selectman (Mark Belanger) reviewed the time sheets as a designated task. Mark was shocked at the extent of the abuse and shared the information with me. Other management issues (abuse of power) by Steve were uncovered during his tour as our TM. I've listed a few: Link

T

Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter Empty Lack of Integrity

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:49 am

I'm floored that Len Greaney would put himself in this position. Publicly criticizing a former town manager, while he has been the interim manager for less than a month and giving accolades to JSN and Mark Belanger while accusing Thibodeau and Lovejoy of causing increased "decay" in our municipality doesn't inspire me to think of him as anything but the pot calling the kettle black. This demonstrates a huge lack of integrity, objectivity and the ability to make wise decisions. Wouldn't a person of sound judgement, in a public position, refrain from making comments such as these? In my eyes Len Greaney's credibility rating just plummeted. Hopefully we're not paying him to be writing this stuff.

Last edited by C on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter Empty Re: Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:18 am

Holy cow that guy is long winded! I just skimmed the remainder of the article that wasn't posted, he's throwing out a lot of accusations. Here is the first paragraph of his closing

Closing: I could go on and on about Steve's mismanagement during his two year exercise in futility.
Believe me, he DID.
His employment as our town manager is another good example of how MMA tries to control the municipal governments in Maine. Steve had an opportunity to learn from his experiences in Rumford. He has chosen to believe that HE'S OK and anyone who opposes his view is NOT OK.
Recently, in August 2007, he even referred to "THAT SMALL GROUP" as "SLIME." Apparently, Steve was angry to feel powerless to stop the momentum that "That Small Group" and their movement to influence fiscal responsibility in Rumford.
I think I suspect another "anonymous" writer for TRR. I find it a bit unsettling that the people with the most "in your face" opinions and often vindictive and radical views are becoming our government leaders.

I never met Mr. Eldridge, but thought he did fine as a manager. I wonder why these people feel the need to target him even though he is gone from Rumford? If JSN was wronged why doesn't she file a grievance? Why did she just walk out of a career in Lisbon that she was supposedly thriving in? Does anyone know who else (JSN? LG?) applied for the TM job along with Mr. Eldridge? Why do these people think they know more than the Maine Municipal Association? Lol, I guess you can tell I'm annoyed by TRR's bullying.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter Empty Re: Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter

Post by Admin Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:07 am

Although I often disagreed with Mr. Greaney’s views, I always respected him for the way he handled himself, until now. There is NO REASON to slam Steve, Jolene, or Jim. He is serving is a role as a public official for our town while slamming its long term residents. I have completely lost my respect for him. It also clears up why the “TRR” crew has been pushing to have him as town manager. He thinks like they do.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:55 am

Mr. Greany is certainly entitled to his critique of Mr. Eldridge, but I don't think his public trashing on the "Lisbon Reporter" was wise. And I don't understand how he can publicly support JSN with all her childish and vindictive rantings. I thought he would be a more discerning fellow.............................What do I know?

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:46 am

Last edited by T on Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

T

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 am

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:08 am

I wonder why he didn't publicly stand up for Jim Doar on the computer issue that TRR was trying to make into a scandal? I suppose where that witch hunt failed they want to sweep it under the carpet and start back on Mr. Eldridge.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:21 am

I have confirmed through one of the recipients that the comments posted by Len Greaney were in fact taken from an email sent to a number of members of "the small group" approximatly four months ago before Mr. Doar had even indicated he was leaving. I have not been in contact with Len to ascertain whether or not permission was given by him to post that email on the Lisbon Reporter site.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:34 am

Mr. Greaney's lengthy writings are turning up in quite a few places.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Len Greaney critiques Steve Eldridge for The Lisbon Reporter Empty Greaney/JSN

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:11 pm

I wondered what the connection was with JSN and Len Greaney. Here's one connection.
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:53 pm

C wrote:Mr. Greaney's lengthy writings are turning up in quite a few places.
"Lengthy" is an understatement. I hope his management style is not similar. His “long-windedness” is typical of a bureaucrat.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:11 pm

Interesting development. It appears that Mr. Greaney's critique of Mr. Eldridge has been removed from The Lisbon Reporter website.

Page not found
Sorry, the page you were looking for in the blog The Lisbon Reporter does not exist.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:14 pm

Should anyone want or need a complete copy of Mr. Greaney's critique of Mr. Eldridge, just let me know. I saved a copy.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by C Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 pm

www.lisbonreporter.com/2008/07/overview-of-our-former-town-managers.html+steve+seth+carey+mark+belanger&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">new link to article

it's gone now- if anyone needs or cares to see it many of use have it saved.

Last edited by C on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
C
C
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kels Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm

wow!
kels
kels

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:30 pm

I have no personal relationship with Mr. Greaney or Mr. Eldridge, and to that extent I wish neither man any ill will. I do, however, find it curious that Mr. Greaney would invest the time and effort to compose such a lengthy attack on Mr. Eldridge, especially since Mr. Eldridge has left the River Valley area. It almost sounds like "sour grapes." Of course, one has to suspect that since Mr. Greaney went to such great lengths to denegrate Mr. Eldridge's character and abilities, Mr. Greaney's character and abilities MUST BE beyond reproach. The old "glass houses/throwing stones" analogy.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:12 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:I have confirmed through one of the recipients that the comments posted by Len Greaney were in fact taken from an email sent to a number of members of "the small group" approximatly four months ago before Mr. Doar had even indicated he was leaving....

I have confirmed with Len that the article was part of a private email written long ago and not intended to for public display.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 pm

I wonder what Len thinks about that?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:28 pm

This is interesting.

Let me see.

It's apparent to me that the same person responsible for the Rumford Reporter is responsible for the Lisbon Reporter.

It's apparent to me that there are sour grapes involved.

It's apparent to me that the internet is wonderful, and in this case, has turned out to be a sweet equalizing force to misinformation.

Keep up the good work people. The truth always wins over evil.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by T Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:I have confirmed with Len that the article was part of a private email written long ago and not intended to for public display.

…and he's a former senior management leader at Honeywell, Inc, and Digital Equipment Corporation and has 10 years combined work experience at AT&T, Raytheon, Sanborn Co. and Itek Laboratories and expected this e-mail to remain private?

He should have known better.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:53 pm

At the time he trusted all of the people to whom he sent the email. It appears that the trust has been broken.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by T Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 am

I never put in an e-mail (even to "trusted" people) anything that I wouldn't want made public.

Once you click on that send button, you've lost all control of it.

T

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down