Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Selectmen and free speech

+5
Admin
Dave
C
Timeout
xmashen
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Selectmen and free speech Empty Selectmen and free speech

Post by xmashen Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:17 pm

I heard that at the most recent selectmen's meeting, Mr. Diconzo made a heart-felt demand/plea for a stop to anonymous posting on THIS site. My "name" was mentioned, along with several other people I have come to respect.

I am not going to go into the arguments for anonymity here. They've already been stated very well and clearly in many other previous posts.

First let's just assume that Mr. Diconzo has been visiting this site, but obviously he never felt the need to identify himself. Maybe he just never felt the need to post a comment? or maybe he did under a "screen name".

These guys were successful in shutting down the " Open Doar" , which I always thought was a fairly benign site , sure, full of gripes and the usual Rumford sniping, but hardly anything that needed to be shut down. But since that was a "town site" I guess they were able to do that.

This is NOT a municipal site, but a privately-run (although available and open to the public) site for people who care about Rumford and the River Valley in general. We don't all agree with each other about every little thing, and yes, we even ARGUE with each other sometimes. We are generally civil, if sometimes sarcastic. However, I am guessing that MOST of us appreciate each other and the perspectives brought to this forum.

The administrators of the forum, bless their hearts, have defended the use of avatars, which are consistent, as fair and inclusive play.

That some of us may make comments that are critical of or disagreeable to people who think they sit above, well, that's just too bad. This site is monitored, and I have never seen a personally offensive comment. It's mostly mini politics, or responses to other sites far less concerned with free speech.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

Back to top Go down

Selectmen and free speech Empty Re: Selectmen and free speech

Post by Timeout Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Frank just cracks me up...I've seen his posts on TRR... and he even posted on the Open Doar writing a letter as if he had interviewed himself about what kind of trees should be planted in front of the town hall...what a riot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just can't take this seriously.
Timeout
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by C Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:09 pm

I suspect those who are most upset about this forum are simply upset because this is an aspect of the political scene that they cannot control.
C
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Dear Frank -

Yes, I am anonymous. My name might not even be Dave. But why should that bother you?

I shouldn't have to give my name to say that the Blue Ox purchase is scaringly equivalent to a White Elephant. And I shouldn't have to give my name to criticize the damage (imho) you have done to the River Valley community.

I understand you hang around with Ms. Norris. That says enough for me. For she is one who seems to want to have her propaganda website somehow be the only one in town. Sorry. Americans are too smart for that.

And by the way, you have no jurisdiction over the River Valley Free Press. I'm sorry you hate free speech. Perhaps China would be a better country for you.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 pm

It seems a tad ironic that Mr. Diconzo would call for a stop to anonymous posters on this site. TRR presents articles and letters from "concerned Citizen", fictitious "R Ortez", "Rumford citizen", etc. This site is not the site that writes scathing letters to Chief Carter. This is not the site that attacks the fire department, police department, members of the Catholic school board.
And really, what right, or business, does he have to even suggest such a thing while he's acting as a public official?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:56 pm

Let’s see if I have this straight.

The RVFP encourages open debate and allows all sides of an issue to discussed. (Frank could even post here)

TRR allows no opinions other than their own to be published.

Just the same, Frank doesn’t like the RVFP because of anonymous posting but thinks TRR is fine despite their anonymous posting.

Does that make sense to anyone?

It seems clear the real reason Frank, Mark and others don’t like this site is because we keep them honest. They know we are watching and when unethical or self serving behavior occurs, the people on this site call them on it.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

https://rivervalleyfreepress.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Z Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:48 am

Since Frank Diconzo and his attacks on the Fire Department were metioned, I have a question. I have not been at a meeting where Frank Diconzo has had "disagreements" with members of the Fire Department, so correct me if I am wrong. Why is Frank Diconzo the only one who sees members of the Fire Department making gestures, or smiling smugly? Why has nobody else seen these actions? Again, if I am incorrect, let me know.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:12 am

I have seen it, I just don't make a big deal over immature behavior. Technically, such actions constitute insubordination toward the board. I am surprised that nobody has been reprimanded for it.

Perhaps Frank is "the only one who sees it" because he is the only one who pays attention to the audience when these issues arise. When negative things occur, there many people choose the avoidance option.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 am

[quote="KevinNSaisi"]I am surprised that nobody has been reprimanded for it. quote]

Too funny. People see what they want to see. Since you're psycho-analyzing it, maybe Frank sees disrespect because he disrespects himself...who knows? Maybe he earns disrespect by not respecting others? Hard to tell. That will be 5 cents, please...just call me Lucy.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Frank also does not want town employees posting on blogs. Hmmm isn't that funny and a little one sided? Oh wait they are not "employees" the are board members, big difference there.
marktripp
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Doesn't seem to me that Mr. Diconzo has any authority to dictate to others what or where they may or may not post. Of course, he may just get his chainsaw out....................

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:56 pm

I heard a rumor today that drug-testing will be required for all who post on the Rumford Free Press.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:58 pm

lol...Dave, you are a funny guy. (I assume you are a guy since you may not really be Dave?)
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:51 am

I'm pissed. Mr. Dick didn't meniton my name.

Who elected this guy, anyways?

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by T Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 am

Dave wrote:I'm pissed. Mr. Dick didn't meniton my name.

Who elected this guy, anyways?

I didn't get a mention either... Crying or Very sad Very Happy

T

Number of posts : 3862

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 am

Along with the other selectmen and the town manager, Frank knows who I am because I told him...I didn't realize they were giving us the power to hold the town back from progress...dang! and I just thought I was writing about what THEY were doing to hold the town back...it's soooooo confusing... geek Do you think it was Freudian that he called me Timeoff? Or maybe just wishful thinking...lol
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:25 am

I know, I know, I watched it again but just 'cause Frank looks fabulous in blue. I love that he said we have a town manager that "...meets these issues head on, I think passively at some times."
Can anyone explain that to me?
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:47 am

Is this the same Frank who's so buddy-buddy with JSN who allows anonymous postings on her site? My, my..................A game of "double-standards" anyone?

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:23 am

What makes you assume that Frank is "buddy-buddy" with JSN, because he talks with her? If two people agree on some issues, it doesn't mean they are "buddy-buddy". I shared a viewpoint with RT on some issues, but as you can see, we certainly are not friends. I have been friends with Frank for years, but you don't see him agreeing with me on everything. This community would be much better off if people stopped making assumptions.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:36 am

Kevin, YOU are assuming that I'M assuming.

KevinNSaisi wrote: This community would be much better off if people stopped making assumptions.

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:48 am

Call it what you want, you still made an implication based upon assumptions, whether you did it outright or not. This crap has to stop.
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 am

Buddies or not, he failed to mention R Ortez in his report.
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:51 am

Timeout wrote:Buddies or not, he failed to mention R Ortez in his report.
He also failed to mention me, should I assume that I am really Frank DiConzo ???? affraid Shocked Rolling Eyes dunno jocolor geek
KevinNSaisi
KevinNSaisi

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:01 am

Yeah but you're not a made up name or a ficticious character.

Last edited by Timeout on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Timeout
Timeout

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:44 am

KevinNSaisi wrote:What makes you assume that Frank is "buddy-buddy" with JSN, because he talks with her? If two people agree on some issues, it doesn't mean they are "buddy-buddy". I shared a viewpoint with RT on some issues, but as you can see, we certainly are not friends. I have been friends with Frank for years, but you don't see him agreeing with me on everything. This community would be much better off if people stopped making assumptions.

Kevin, we all make assumptions all the time. They are based on what we hear, see, feel, taste, smell. If something tastes like cinnamon to me, then I assume there is cinnamon in it. "Assuming" is, sadly, the most any of us can do.
I have never claimed to be omniscient.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next